Shielded Wire...

Coda

I am putting together a Mouser order, and wanted to know exactly what to get. I have a pedal that squeals, and the common suggestion was to use shielded wire. So what exactly am I looking for?...

Reactions: fig
If you search for coaxial cable you'll find more options. I believe that RG174 is what I have seen most people using.
Would any coaxial do? It sure would look silly to put an RG-59 cable in a pedal, but if it solve the squealing, I’m all for it, as I’m pretty sure it comes down to my output wire…

As long as it is shielded. Only connect one end of the shielding to avoid a ground loop.

I use old psu cables or dead wall wart cables, etc. That RG174 is pretty cheap...I just never remember to get it.
Thanks, I purchased some RG174 this morning.
Seeing how the interference picks up when I move th INPUT/OUTPUT cables, most likely it will solve the problem. Can I use the ground point on the board to ground the shielding?
AFBD716D-D745-4B83-8C79-E2444DB5D536.jpeg

I need something like this for installing a Effects loop in my 800....someone else recommended i buy this , its easy to work with and i can see why vs the braided stuff

Mouser only sells it in the big rolls , i just need like 3'

Can i use the George L's patch cable i have a 50' roll of that ?

Mike

This is the Sellers pic that bought the Ceriatone 800 from

It would have been impossible to do a drop in loop due to the PPIMV being in that one speaker jack, so i had Jason make me the loop board with out the jacks and use a stand off for mounting and run some wires to the mounted jacks. I may put the toggle upright in the chassis ...i dont know yet but may mount thru the back.

I need a scope to balance out the trim pot , but i can do the mounting instal and run it over to my tech and have him put it on his scope...hes just a 1/4 mile away

Mike

Oh ...did you say that the George L's cable will be fine for the shielded wire ?

• Love
So I got the RG174 cables, and I could use some tips on how to handle it. I dove it, like I usually do, and found it difficult to strip. What’s the best way to go about that?...

So I got the RG174 cables, and I could use some tips on how to handle it. I dove it, like I usually do, and found it difficult to strip. What’s the best way to go about that?...

To strip the first layer off and reveal the ground braid? I take my wire cutters and just barely cut into the outer layer...keep the cutters firm, rotate them and it should come off. Might take a couple tries but you’ll get it!

To strip the first layer off and reveal the ground braid? I take my wire cutters and just barely cut into the outer layer...keep the cutters firm, rotate them and it should come off. Might take a couple tries but you’ll get it!
Ok. What about the inner layers? I imagine I can peel the braid back a bit, and then just strip the inner wire as usual?

I can peel the braid back a bit, and then just strip the inner wire as usual?
You'll want one end of the braiding to ground. I usually pull it to one side, twist, and tin. You may need to thin it down a bit. Then strip the insulator. THe braiding on the other end can be trimmed tight to the jacket.

You'll want one end of the braiding to ground. I usually pull it to one side, twist, and tin. You may need to thin it down a bit. Then strip the insulator. THe braiding on the other end can be trimmed tight to the jacket.
And then from there I connect the braid to ground via a wire to the pcb? Or directly to ground, like how Gibson does it?

I connect the braid to ground via a wire to the pcb? Or directly to ground, like how Gibson does it?
I find it easier to ground to the input jack end than trying to feed that wire through the pad.

Yea, I just thought of that option. What about the other end? At the footswitch. Should I just pull that back a bit and leave it?
Yeah, or trim it to the jacket, heat-shrink if you are a neat-freak.

Back