SOLVED Slide Potentiometers and the 6 Band EQ

I ordered a set of slide pots for my 6 band eq and the #3 leg doesn't line up with the PCB. I have reached the following two possible conclusions:

1. Slide pot pinout is not standardized and the #3 leg is either across from #1 or #2. If this is the case, then Mouser has failed to provide the option to specify, which makes it seem unlikely.

OR

2. They are supposed to mount on the non-silkscreen side of the PCB. It will fit this way, but if my above conclusion is correct then pins 1 and 2 would be reversed. It would also be unlike any other PedalPCB board that I am aware of, as they all mount the parts on the silkscreen side.

Halp? Thank.

IMG_1736.jpg
IMG_1737.jpg

Hmm, I've never seen that before. I used the slide potentiometers from Tayda.

They are supposed to go on the silkscreen side of the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see on the product page that the PedalPCB logo normally would be visible when looking into the enclosure. When you mount your pots the logo will be facing down.

EQ-Build.jpg
1608578490607.png

Actually on second thought, I think those pots might be problematic...

I suspect your sweep is going to be reversed (down for boost, up for cut)

I see what's going on.... The pinout of Bourns is reversed compared to Alpha.
Ahhh! That's it exactly. Not only is 3 on the "wrong side", 1 and 2 are also opposite from the Alpha, causing it align correctly to the back of the board. But I see another potential problem- since I will now be mounting the sub-board upside down, I will need to cross the pads for pins 1 and 3, correct? Rather than using straight header pins?

FWIW, I did try to get those Alpha pots but Mouser does not stock them and Tayda is out of stock.

You just need to reverse wire the two pads at the bottom of the potentiometer board and it should work properly.

I'll have to take this into consideration on a future revision of the board so it can be easily flipped for Bourns style pots.

I was thinking of trying this build. Does anyone have a sample of how you drilled the enclosure for the openings of the slide pots? Just drill a bunch of small holes and file the openings right?

I was thinking of trying this build. Does anyone have a sample of how you drilled the enclosure for the openings of the slide pots? Just drill a bunch of small holes and file the openings right?
Unless you are incredibly precise when drilling (or don't mind it looking rough) you're going to need the face plate that is available on the order page.

For each of the sliders you will need to chain drill a series of holes in a straight line. You then place the face plate over the top of this to cover up the rough/wonky edges of the drill lines.

If you don't want to use the face plate then you're probably going to need a milling machine to cut the slots for the sliders.

On a side note, a pillar drill or drill stand will be massively helpful when doing this kind of drilling.

Last edited:
How about drilling each ends of the slide, trace a straight line and use a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the slide ?

however, I’m sure how hard it would be to cut with a dremel wheel...

Back