Small Bear/ Synth Cube relaunch

NewBanana

Not sure if this is the right sub forum for this or if it was common knowledge but it looks like Small Bear/Synth Cube will be selling in a week or so. Attached is a photo from the Synth Cube facebook page.

Attachments

• 16533917-50DD-4CA1-AEAC-113816512D28.jpeg
    16533917-50DD-4CA1-AEAC-113816512D28.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 77
Maybe I'm past being nostalgic but this doesn't do much for me at this point 😂. While everyone was panic buying and losing their collective minds already had a decent stock on most things. But in the past 5-6 months building has marched on. Myself, I haven't skipped a beat and it has not impacted me from building whatever I want to. Even pre-pandemic I only shopped there for certain things and I put in a couple orders a year. Stompboxparts is killing it and offering more and more all the time, with cheaper and faster shipping. I've filled in the gaps with other existing sites like cabintech, mouser, Digi key and jameco. Even tayda is offering more. Unless it's some rare hard to find IC that only they have then I'll likely just stick to what I'm doing. As @Feral Feline said, if they don't drop shipping prices and faster shipping times then it's a hard sell for me. It's good that we will have options and competition is good for consumers, I just hope synthcube brings something more to the table.
+1
I never had a lot to buy from small bear— I’d almost always get most of my parts for less elsewhere (or just half the stuff I needed was out of stock), and it always felt a bit silly to me paying $16 shipping on $10 worth of parts from an hour away from me and waiting 2+ weeks to get it. If the shipping costs go down and there’s more brought to the table, then I’ll definitely be a customer, but if it returns to businesses as usual then I think I’ll move on to other sellers.

I do regret missing out on the Meatbox chips and a few other unobtanium parts that I need though

I just noticed an email from Lawrence at Love My Switches that he has 9mm pots. I haven't checked to see if he has the plastic shaft ones as well.

+1
I never had a lot to buy from small bear— I’d almost always get most of my parts for less elsewhere (or just half the stuff I needed was out of stock), and it always felt a bit silly to me paying $16 shipping on $10 worth of parts from an hour away from me and waiting 2+ weeks to get it. If the shipping costs go down and there’s more brought to the table, then I’ll definitely be a customer, but if it returns to businesses as usual then I think I’ll move on to other sellers.

I do regret missing out on the Meatbox chips and a few other unobtanium parts that I need though
How the fuck did you end up with a $16 shipping charge?

i always been a little crazed when it comes to ordering parts… i use mouser/digi-key/jameco for everything i possibly can. the price discounts on even just 100 lot of passives is too good to pass up. and i like to be picky about manufacturers, etc.

during my first round of building pedals in the early 2000s i loved going through the giant mouser catalog that would show up every few months. back then small bear was a lot more….small. but they filled a void.

now that we live in a world of $2.50 3PDT and $5 enclosures (in part due to the competition that came into the market over the last 10 yrs) small bear is a lot less unique. like @thewintersoldier said their a number of newer vendors that continue to impress. but small bear was always very good at stocking the random IC and kept people from buying ebay knock offs.

and i do love that a new kid can grab all of the parts for their first build in one spot and get cracking. in my mind that helped with the explosion of pedal compamies over the last decade or so.

Yup, on the Bebop Moon, I'm howling like a ...

Hyena, a laughing hyena...

lion-king-hyena.gif

Back