Smash Distortion Pedal

music6000

I was going through my vault looking for pedals I hadn't played in years
This is a Pedal that I built years ago & it has a good Distorted sound but even with the Gain pot set minimum it was high gain, The gain knob just held the note longer when you turned it up to max.
I spoke to Chuck about it & he had the Docs saved on his Computer, it was Aron Nelson's Smash that Madbean modified with a JfetF added & 3 Band EQ called the Stank.
Chuck got back to me with a list of things to do & because mine is my Eyelet Board design, the Traces are exposed & he told me to remove the link between Pin1 & Pin 8 on the 386N to reduce the Gain.
I believe it now works as God intended, it goes from almost Clean to the Gain it was stuck on prior to the mod!
Thankyou Chuck for a quick & simple solution, It will now be in rotation instead of sitting on the Shelf gathering dust:

1703377506128.jpeg

1703377465418.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is the Madbean Stank in Vero.
To do the mod I did, Cut the trace in the Green Circle between Pin1 & Pin 8.
I always use LM386N-3 on these type projects :

Madbean Stank Gain Mod.jpg

The LM386 is capable of driving an 8Ω load. We can take advantage of that fact by scaling the impedance of the tone stack and VOLUME pot down by 10x and taking the output from pin 2 of the VOLUME pot. We don't need a JFET buffer after the tone stack. You can use the Biggus Dickus as a guide.

The LM386 is capable of driving an 8Ω load. We can take advantage of that fact by scaling the impedance of the tone stack and VOLUME pot down by 10x and taking the output from pin 2 of the VOLUME pot. We don't need a JFET buffer after the tone stack. You can use the Biggus Dickus as a guide.
I just tried it with little 59 humbuckers & it has heaps of distortion on tap and you can now turn it down to mild distortion!
Thanks again Chuck!(y)

Back