Soldado / Active EQ from PCB Guitar Mania

joelorigo

I finished the Soldado & Active EQ combo from PCB Guitar Mania. The Treble pot acts more like a volume control with a really loud spot in the rotation. The Level control gets louder then quieter then louder again as it is rotated clockwise. In the attached video I have the Presence & Volume trimmers on the EQ board backed off a bit from full. (The Character trimmer was omitted & jumpered, and the 2 LEDs omitted with an added 1M resistor for one, as I didn't want/need any extra gain, based on advice from the Facebook PCB Guitar Mania group.)

Attachments

• IMG_5870.jpg
    IMG_5870.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 48
I found an instructional video on YouTube. Here are the reading I get:
The 14 pin IC on the Soldado PCB:
1 4.72
2 4.71
3 2.98
4 9.34
5 2.42
6 4.69
7 4.69
8 4.68
9 4.69
10 2.91
11 0
12 3.49
13 4.69
14 4.69

Active Q PCB:
IC1
1 2.87
2 2.87
3 2.83
4 0
5 .82
6 1.36
7 1.44
8 9.56

IC2
1 1.44
2 .98
3 .97
4 0
5 4.95
6 5.01
7 5.01
8 9.56

The above measurements were with the pots at noon.

Dropping them all the way down
1 2.86
2 2.86
3 2.83
4 0
5 .85
6 1.35
7 1.44
8 9.56

Turning them all the way up
1 3.25
2 3.25
3 3.20
4 0
5 .8
6 2.07
7 2.07
8 9.56

I'm out. That all looks about what I would expect. The only other thing I would check would be to actually measure the resistance of the 2 pots that are behaving badly and check for smooth changes in resistance across the travel. They are both specified as linear pots, so you should get a nice linear increase in resistance as the pot is rotated

The two outer lugs of the pot will always remain constant. Say you are measuring a 100K linear pot. The two outer lugs will always show approx 100kohm. What you need to do is measure the wiper (middle lug) with lug 1. At 20% rotation, it should measure approx 20kohm. At 40% rotation approx 40kohm, etc.
The pedal does not need to be plugged in.

Steve.

I took a look at the schematic over at the other website. What made you omit the character trimmer? You have the trimmer jumpered from pin 2 to pin 3, but the circuit leading to pin 1 is left hanging. I believe this may be the source of your problems. I would replace the green jumper with the appropriate trimmer in there and see if that fixes your issues. Best of luck,

Steve.

I took a look at the schematic over at the other website. What made you omit the character trimmer? You have the trimmer jumpered from pin 2 to pin 3, but the circuit leading to pin 1 is left hanging. I believe this may be the source of your problems. I would replace the green jumper with the appropriate trimmer in there and see if that fixes your issues. Best of luck,

Steve.
Thank you! Yes, I was advised by a post on the PCB Guitar Maina Facebook group by someone who paired the Soldado with the Active EQ that the LEDs didn't do anything and if I didn't need the additional clipping stage to omit the trimmer, jumper 2 & 3, omit the LEDs and add a high value resistor to LED1 or LED2. Currently there is a 1M in D1. Since I was going to first try the Soldado as a stand alone unit I thought I didn't need any extra clipping that the EQ circuit would add.

Anyway, I will pull the jumper and add the trimmer, but do you think I should also pull the resistor and put the LEDs in?

Last edited:
The two outer lugs of the pot will always remain constant. Say you are measuring a 100K linear pot. The two outer lugs will always show approx 100kohm. What you need to do is measure the wiper (middle lug) with lug 1. At 20% rotation, it should measure approx 20kohm. At 40% rotation approx 40kohm, etc.
The pedal does not need to be plugged in.

Steve.
I'm out. That all looks about what I would expect. The only other thing I would check would be to actually measure the resistance of the 2 pots that are behaving badly and check for smooth changes in resistance across the travel. They are both specified as linear pots, so you should get a nice linear increase in resistance as the pot is rotated
The seem normal. Around 100 all the way up, around 50 at about 12 o'clock, and 0 all the way down.

Thank you! Yes, I was advised by a post on the PCB Guitar Maina Facebook group by someone who paired the Soldado with the Active EQ that the LEDs didn't do anything and if I didn't need the additional clipping stage to omit the trimmer, jumper 2 & 3, omit the LEDs and add a high value resistor to LED1 or LED2. Currently there is a 1M in D1. Since I was going to first try the Soldado as a stand alone unit I thought I didn't need any extra clipping that the EQ circuit would add.

Anyway, I will pull the jumper and add the trimmer, but do you think I should also pull the resistor and put the LEDs in?
Try installing the trimmer first. Then go from there based on your results.

If reconnecting the character circuit doesn't work then I am going to suggest disconnecting the EQ board completely, and focussing on one thing at a time. You seem to have problems on both boards (the level control you are talking about is on the preamp board yes?). I am a bit surprised that they have specified a linear pot for this control - I would have expected to see an audio taper pot here. Either way you shouldn't be getting a rise in volume then a drop. A linear taper might give you a slow rise then a sudden jump though. I wold expect audio taper to give a smoother rise through the pot travel.

If reconnecting the character circuit doesn't work then I am going to suggest disconnecting the EQ board completely, and focussing on one thing at a time. You seem to have problems on both boards (the level control you are talking about is on the preamp board yes?). I am a bit surprised that they have specified a linear pot for this control - I would have expected to see an audio taper pot here. Either way you shouldn't be getting a rise in volume then a drop. A linear taper might give you a slow rise then a sudden jump though. I wold expect audio taper to give a smoother rise through the pot travel.
OK, thank you! Yes each one of the pots in question are on a separate PCB.

I guess I will take our suggestion and try them one at time.

I have only followed a clearly laid out wiring diagram (BYOC Aion, PedalPBC. etc.), so just to confirm, this wiring looks good for the Soldado PCB, yes? SOLDADO ONLY Wiring.png

Back