Solderless PCB Sockets For Testing

Ginsly

Breadboarding aside, there are times when I want to try a few different values in specific parts of a pcb. Sip sockets work, but you have to solder them in or else they won't stay put or connect to the circuit well. PCB test points seem much more snug, but have a loop on the top for test leads instead of sockets (below). I'd love to Frankenstein them both together - something that stays put in a pcb pad, but has a socket on top. Looking for singles that I can use here and there, not unbreakable rows. Does this exist and I'm just missing it?
Screen Shot 2024-07-09 at 12.00.33 PM.png

I have wondered about this as well. The closest I got was that you can generally get away with putting the component in and wedge it with a toothpick.

I have not seen what you're looking for unfortunately. It seems like some sort of spring loaded contact points wouldn't be too difficult, but I haven't seen anything like that.

I’ve never tried it but last I went looking down this path (I personally just use sip sockets and then do a tiny bit of solder or hot glue to hold the final component in place, for offboard connections and potentiometers screw terminals of different sizes work perfectly) I was gonna try using something like a Molex 50034 press fit crimp connector with the top crimp part crimped just enough to hold the component lead.

10¢/ea for something that still needs work is overkill imo just linking for the product info, I’m sure there’s tons of cheaper alternatives: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0500348000/2404919

You can also use the teeny alligator test leads directly into the plated thru hole but I don’t think I could tolerate that many flying wires.

I haven’t come across the female version of these but you could always just add an extra connector on the top. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10527 One problem with finding more was that “press-fit” w/r/t pcb terminals usually means non-removable as opposed to these kinds of springy connectors.

I have not seen what you're looking for unfortunately.
At least I'm not crazy... It seems very odd that this wouldn't exist, I'm pretty shocked!
I was gonna try using something like a Molex 50034 press fit crimp connector
If the end fits snugly in pcb holes, one could snip the plastic off of a sip socket and kinda crimp it into these. Not sure how the end of the connectors would tolerate repeated, uh... removal/insertion. 😑
Some leads are thick enough that when you fold them over at the tip, and squash them hard with some pliers, they fit snuggly in the pad's hole.
I do this to skinny component legs when they're "permanently" installed in sip sockets - really helps keep a consistent connection. A little fold at the end or a tiny zigzag makes a big difference. I can absolutely see why some people hate sockets, but... I'm not ready to ditch them yet!

It's a lot of fucking around when you could just desolder the components 🤷
Eh... seems easy enough to push in a little socket or two, quickly try a few different components one right after the other without having to solder/desolder every single one and then... simply remove the sockets. I realize that's what breadboarding is for, but still! Comes up from time to time.

Long sip sockets, plastic removed. Like an inch+ long. Solder from the top/component side.
When ready to desolder(because as I have said before, sockets are like marriage, temporary), add flux and heat the socket stem mid point, yank out with pliers. If you don't use too much solder, the remaining bit will cling to the socket stem on the way out. I don't reuse them because fuck the dolphins(and I figure they'll have less wicking ability).
Cumbersome to use but easy to remove. And, less cumbersome than other solutions.
Ive talked to a couple others about this, I wish we could have our PCB through holes the same dimms as Dupont wire. Would be convenient.

In figured out another solution a yearish ago, I think, late one Saturday night 🍻 and posted on here. Didn't get much traction and I forget now...

I have a bunch of those bead/test point jobbies. Damn things pop out if you look at them wrong.

Long sip sockets, plastic removed. Like an inch+ long
Huh, I've never seen a sip socket that would snugly fit in a pcb hole - plastic or no. Do you have an example of this?
I have a bunch of those bead/test point jobbies. Damn things pop out if you look at them wrong.
Bummer to hear that! I wonder if different manufacturers would make a difference? Maybe the ones from Adafruit are better quality?

There is something called a "Fuzz Button"

Huh! What a strange thing to exist - since the 50's, apparently! That's actually pretty cool.

What IS the diameter of a PedalPCB/standard pcb hole? It asks for that info in inches, looks like. There are also different materials you can request, but I assume the "standard" one would be fine. Length only goes up to 1/4 inch. No idea how much they are, you have to submit a quote!

I meant header pins. male/female variety Multitasking poorly.
Gotcha. The problem with those is that it's nowhere near as easy to snap single headers off of a row like you would a sip socket - at least any of the headers I've seen. The female ones snap off, but not the m/f ones as far as I know.

Millmax makes a bunch of press-fit stuff like pin receptacles. I havent tried but any but one of them might do the trick

Gotcha. The problem with those is that it's nowhere near as easy to snap single headers off of a row like you would a sip socket - at least any of the headers I've seen. The female ones snap off, but not the m/f ones as far as I know.
I just cut thru one of the sockets and trim the edges

Millmax makes a bunch of press-fit stuff like pin receptacles.
Yep, my guess is one of those is what I need. Not sure which! They make great stuff, but pretty pricey.
I just cut thru one of the sockets and trim the edges
I've been there, and it's not terribly fun! You wind up losing the "middle" header, too. Not a huge deal unless you needs piles of em, though.

Yep, my guess is one of those is what I need. Not sure which! They make great stuff, but pretty pricey.

I've been there, and it's not terribly fun! You wind up losing the "middle" header, too. Not a huge deal unless you needs piles of em, though.
I think there's a break in communication/terminology.
SIP is what I'm saying, though when SIP is said, I think single inline package...
You can buy them as single as well

I meant to get some test hook clips like the DCA75 uses on my last tayda order. I figure those and some thicker bus wire would make quick work of testing like this. I have some 18 or 20awg wire already (cant remember exactly) that fits snug enough in the board. I use it with breadboard jumpers now as it is and it's pretty good but the hooks would be ideal.

IMG_6860.jpeg

Back