Spirit Box for my SCHMORG

dawson

Hi everybody.

This is a PPCB Spirit Box, a clone of the EQD Ghost Echo. It's a great-sounding, easy to use reverb and I've found it works great with anything I've run through it: guitar, bass, Rhodes electric piano, and vocals as well.

N2mluR9.jpg

1KXF2Oz.jpg

The graphic is etched onto a 125B bottom-plate using ferric chloride.

If you're wondering WTF is wrong with this guy who thinks it's okay to build upside-down pedals with no pants on, this thread may answer a question or two:
SCHMORG

This is one of the first builds I've done with thicker IN/OUT wires zip-tied to the footswitch for strain relief.. some of my more-popular modules will be getting this upgrade soon. Got to keep making things better as I learn.

I used a MEDIUM Belton-Brick that I've had since Mammoth's extinction instead of the LONG one in the build doc. It's got noticeably less DWELL to goof with, but still plenty to do what I want with it. I have a deflector build to do goofy stuff.

When I first finished it, the repeats added a horrible crackling, sort-of sizzle thing if I sent any more than a whisper of a signal through it.. I was all puckered up because other than the brick substitution, this build got the best treatment I can offer. Before long, however, I remembered the bag of cheapy-cheapo TL072's I was trying out.. as soon as I swapped them with some from an unfortunate donor, it's nice and clear.

Note to self: trying to save too much money can lead to purchasing useless components..
Another note to self: spending a little bit more on key components can cause a major positive difference- these footswitches from BLMS are straight-up luxury-quality.

Here's the SCHMORG module next to my first Spirit Box build, which is now a loving life-partner of our band's Rhodes piano:

20uIAW9.jpg

Here it is on my guitar rack, pending the completion of my vocal rack:

uC65G9U.jpg

Thanks for reading!

I just noticed your poly tuner customization. Do you have any pics of how that is implemented? Mine is a 1590A, which is awkward on my board. It never dawned on me to re-box it. That's a great idea.

This looks awesome!! I just finished populating that one myself, can’t wait to see how it sounds once I get it wired up. For the Belton did you do anything to keep it from touching the underside of the PCB? Or is that not an issue

Back