Stuff you wanted to know but were afraid to ask

I use the numbers for reference when tracing a PCB. It makes things much easier when I can look at the schematic and know without a doubt which end of a component a particular trace connects to. 1 = Bottom or Left end of a component, 2 = Top or Right end of a component, depending on whether they are oriented horizontally or vertically. (this is just a mental note that I use, not some set standard that anyone else follows)

They mean nothing as far as the finished PCB is concerned. Sometimes I remove them from the final schematic but it's a bit of a manual process since I can't just "Hide all" because we DO want the pin numbers visible for ICs, potentiometers, transistors, and switches.
That's actually very useful, you should not delete them from now on, makes our troubleshooting easier when trying to pin point the exact connection in the schematic relative to the board.

Ever wonder how they soldered stuff 80 years ago?
This instructional video might seem a bit dated, but the chemical and metallurgical processes are still the same.
Some good safety tips too.
And there are some hot babes.

Didn't see any babes, still got a semi.
The video also reminded me I gotta get myself a red lab coat like the guy in the Pace videos, with my logo embroidered on the chest pocket of course.

Is there an accepted convention for numbering components in a circuit? Like does R1 start at the signal input? Do they go through the signal path and then to the power supply? How are they chosen?

Is there an accepted convention for numbering components in a circuit? Like does R1 start at the signal input? Do they go through the signal path and then to the power supply? How are they chosen?
I usually just layout the schem then Ill let the program annotate the schematic. It'll start from the left side and sort of logically number them for you. You might have to go in to clean it up if you feel so but i found this is enough for me to understand it.

I would still start form the left side of the schem this way its easy to follow....

I guess using R1 as an Input resistor makes sense?.....Now im thinking about it....

Maybe its up to the person who makes the schematic?
I can do whatever I want but I'm asking if there's a norm around it

In consumer electronics (televisions, VCRs, etc) with large circuits they were typically numbered by section. R1xxx - Power supply, R2xxx - vertical deflection, etc. Within each group they were usually ordered in sequence horizontally from left to right on the page, but not always. The BOM would also give the X/Y coordinates (based on the grid on the top/bottom of the sheet) to quickly locate a component on the schematic.

1700424856220.png

These were much larger schematics than we deal with. Usually many sheets that unfolded like a road map. Each sheet was about the size of a theater poster when unfolded.

One of my friends took an electronics class in college and part of one of their labs was repairing a broken wideband radio. He said they were given a schematic to help check over the circuit and it unfolded into 7 or 8 big pages.

One of my friends took an electronics class in college and part of one of their labs was repairing a broken wideband radio. He said they were given a schematic to help check over the circuit and it unfolded into 7 or 8 big pages.
Before I got into working on MRIs, I worked in x-ray. Before refurbished/salvaged/second had parts were a thing(early-mid 90s(, GE would send out schematics for everything with new systems. The X-ray system schems were several 6 inch 3 ring binders of fold outs.
You could fill half a basketball court trying to trace a 5v control signal.

Back