Sushi Box Lab Rat

Mentaltossflycoon

OK, first off, I'll admit to being a longtime Rat nonbeliever. In the 90s I thought my muff was the greatest and anything that wasn't it.. was shit. Didn't even try a Rat until I worked at a music store in college and even then I didn't love it, especially for bass. I've built a few over the years to try and remain open minded but they've all been given away except for my mb slow loris. Similarly I built this lab rat with the thought "maybe THIS is my jam."

So yeah, I can't believe I'm saying this but I like this Rat. I like it on guitar, I like it on bass, it like it a LOT. Thank you @vigilante398 for making a rat that can hang with the lows. I assumed it would be juiced up but it is shockingly thicc with the bass knob cranked.

I fiddled with trying different leds but thought the standard red sounded best. After I took this picture, I decided to swap the op07 with the early 80s lm308 that @fig gave me that was living in my slow loris so I can give the loris to a buddy. Yeah, the chips sound exactly the same to me. But it's MY mojo. Mine.

I decided to keep it simple with the enclosure, the little tube window is plenty fancy on its own. I found these tiny metallic letter stickers, thought I'd try something other than my terrible handwriting for labeling for once. I have mixed feelings on the result. Certainly a quick and easy way to go, we'll see how long they last.

Screenshot_20230912_003017.jpg Screenshot_20230912-003027_Gallery.jpg

OK, first off, I'll admit to being a longtime Rat nonbeliever. In the 90s I thought my muff was the greatest and anything that wasn't it.. was shit. Didn't even try a Rat until I worked at a music store in college and even then I didn't love it, especially for bass. I've built a few over the years to try and remain open minded but they've all been given away except for my mb slow loris. Similarly I built this lab rat with the thought "maybe THIS is my jam."

So yeah, I can't believe I'm saying this but I like this Rat. I like it on guitar, I like it on bass, it like it a LOT. Thank you @vigilante398 for making a rat that can hang with the lows. I assumed it would be juiced up but it is shockingly thicc with the bass knob cranked.

I fiddled with trying different leds but thought the standard red sounded best. After I took this picture, I decided to swap the op07 with the early 80s lm308 that @fig gave me that was living in my slow loris so I can give the loris to a buddy. Yeah, the chips sound exactly the same to me. But it's MY mojo. Mine.

I decided to keep it simple with the enclosure, the little tube window is plenty fancy on its own. I found these tiny metallic letter stickers, thought I'd try something other than my terrible handwriting for labeling for once. I have mixed feelings on the result. Certainly a quick and easy way to go, we'll see how long they last.

View attachment 56304View attachment 56305
Man, I'm tempted to build one, if nothing else than to have the full set of @vigilante398 's DIY projects.
@steviejr92 's Rat Salad has made be jump back on the Rat bandwagon (to a certain extent...heh. Still not fond of a stock Rat)

Back