DEMO Tagboard CE-2 chorus

This post contains an audio or video demo

owlexifry

most sensible builders out there are putting time into designing takes/original circuits and PCB layouts on diptrace or similar, for efficient and reliable PCB/pedal production, and meanwhile here’s me regressing into veroboard and tagboard builds like a silly goose.

after doing a few tagboard designs/builds with drive circuits, i wanted to try and build a modulation circuit on tagboards.
for science? well not really. idk maybe i just like building unnecessary large things. i would expect @manfesto is gonna hate this.

i like chorus, so i decided to attempt a layout for the CE-2, i love the sound, it’s a relatively small circuit for a chorus, and i had good reference in the vero CE-2 build / layout that i’d done previously.

i almost didn’t even want to bother with attempting something so pointlessly large and cumbersome, but after a good coffee i made a start.
got it to fit on x3 18 row tagboards.

55ACC9D4-C32F-4F66-B221-EA543F38B148.png

ordered a 1590DD and crossed my fingers.

the boards only just barely fit sideways after sanding down the ends.
i also included the ‘chuck bones simple relay bypass’ switch on a small veroboard because it’s awesome and i didn’t want to risk cracking the perspex with a regular 3pdt.
this took a long time to build.
i’m just so glad i didn’t have to face the devastation of it not working when i finished.
featuring the CT3101 generously supplied by @Cabintech during beta testing.
sounds beautiful like a CE-2 should.

2465E62A-8449-4FBF-8637-4CF70AA16F73.jpeg F4BADD86-B6EE-410E-B61A-F7CBBF33B99F.jpeg

(i haven't clipped the transistors yet - i will do that soon - just wanted to get photos before it inevitably gets even more scratches 😅)

Attachments

• CE-2 HW.pdf
    122.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
And here I thought I was the king of making things more difficult than they had to be…. I think you dropped this 👑🤣. Ever seen a baby so ugly it was cute?…. Jesus man I want to hate this thing but it’s kinda awesome…. You went right past terrible idea and came out the other side…. How this horror even works and with such a low noise floor is truly impressive. Good job it sounds great!

WOW!!! that is absolutely stunning!!!
cheers! i'm just stunned that it works!

WHere did you get the taurret strips from? I cant seem to find a 13 row one, did you cut down a larger one?
i got mine from https://www.evatco.com.au/36-way-tag-board-2-rows-of-18

have also seen them available at:

And here I thought I was the king of making things more difficult than they had to be…. I think you dropped this 👑🤣. Ever seen a baby so ugly it was cute?…. Jesus man I want to hate this thing but it’s kinda awesome…. You went right past terrible idea and came out the other side…. How this horror even works and with such a low noise floor is truly impressive. Good job it sounds great!
thank you kind sir, although i am in no way worthy of that crown.
no fancy digital builds over here. i cant even use graphic design software.
idk whats wrong with me, as a gen y, i'm supposed to embrace progress and innovation, but i just can't do it. when the 9-5 mon-fri is mostly working with computers (oncology research) all day, the last thing i want from my hobby is more time in front of a computer.

lol i assume it works because i followed a schematic and electrons don't care about form factor 😜 also ground schemes, lead dress, relative component positions (keeping LFO away from audio signal pathways etc.) aren't something i would ignore.

I love everything about this!

Absolutely everything, great work!
thanks man :)

I wonder what your thought process was like when you came up with this amazing idea!

I’m pretty much in awe!
it was sorta like this: "i wonder if i can get this to fit on 4 boards or less?"

1698019824799.png
holy shit - x3 boards!

This is really impressive- I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything other than a fuzz or amp like this before.
cheers! i like building amps. tagboards/turretboards are fun, but very slow to build with. or maybe i'm just slow.

This is everything I want a pedal to be.
that's big praise coming from the king of super clean utilitarian builds!
as a pedal - it's kinda dumb. i'm probably not even gonna put it on a pedalboard. it does fit, but i don't really wanna make another perspex faceplate when it becomes opaque

That's crazy! Amazing job man
thank you :)

the other day i took a chance on an ebay auction for a collection of old (usa, australia, england) untested twin triodes. it was a pretty risky sale given being sold as-is/untested, but it was a pretty damn good deal…
today i tested a 12AX7 pair in a stereo amp, and they worked beautifully!
since i had the stereo amp running, i had an idea i wanted to try out now that i’d finished this second CE-2 build:
x2 CE-2s in parallel / stereo.

with both units at same settings it’s pretty smooth and a great stereo experience. when you start using vastly different rates / depths, it gets pretty interesting 😅
did a quick lil demo this afternoon

AMAZERBALLS!

I would totally RAWK this 1590DD-Chorus on my GIANTS of PEDALS board (board with only big boxes on it).

I'd use a switcher so I'm not (hardly ever) stepping on the perspex... keep it clean & clear.

The pedal, the vids...
Looks fantastic, and more importantly SOUNDS FABULOUS. Gushhhh

Back