Tayda 125b won't screw closed? - Use a Machine Tap!

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
EDIT: See post #30 for this to come full circle.

Some of the newer 125b enclosures from Tayda won't accept the machine screws they come with to close the lid. What's the best way to bore out the hole so they'll fit?

Last edited:
Happened to me with 2 screws on enclosure. I was able to use a self tapping screw to bore out the hole (but that snapped off inside one, alas). Good news was Tayda gave me a $10 credit

I keep a set of self tapping screws from another enclosure and just use that to clear the powder coat out. Should probably just get an appropriate tap size, but I keep forgetting. Anyone know the specific thread size and pitch that Tayda’s enclosures use (not sure if it’s any different from what Hammond uses)

I keep a set of self tapping screws from another enclosure and just use that to clear the powder coat out. Should probably just get an appropriate tap size, but I keep forgetting. Anyone know the specific thread size and pitch that Tayda’s enclosures use (not sure if it’s any different from what Hammond uses)

Appears to be 6-32. When I had the same issue, I remembered that the feet on my Dunlop wah enclosure are held on by 6-32 self tapping screws so whenever I have this issue with a Tayda enclosure, I just unscrew one of the feet on my wah, screw it into the screw hole on the Tayda to tap it properly, then put it back on my wah.

Mike

Common. Powder coat build up in the holes. Don’t force the screw! Get a 6-32 tap (bottoming or flat bottom preferred). Don’t force it and break the tap but that will clean them out. Also use cutting fluid or at least some WD40 to lube the tap… it makes them last longer and reduces chance of breakage

Lube is critical if you’re cutting new threads but for scraping a little paint out of an existing thread I don’t usually bother with it.

The last enclosure I got seemed like the lid was from a slightly different enclosure. I got it to work but weird
I seem to recall a post here from the summer stating that Tayda has slightly changed the dimensions on their 125Bs. I wonder if, in your case, they accidentally mixed and matched the top from an older one with the bottom of a newer oner (or vice versa).

And, yes, Tayda's enclosures are prone (in my experience) to bad screw tapping. I've had this problem a fair amount, and it's always been bad tapping, not paint overspray filling the holes.

M

The last enclosure I got seemed like the lid was from a slightly different enclosure. I got it to work but weird
It may be to do with $1.00 charge Tayda wants to tape the Enclosure if you dont want powder coat or residue in your enclosure.
I also noted the corner post are slightly different where the screws are tapped on the latest enclosures.
I have found that sometimes they dont want to start so I turn the screw CCW til it jumps which is the start of the thread, then I can screw them straight in.

I've noticed this more and more lately. One of my enclosures recently only had the hole bored down maybe .5cm so it was solid metal and all the screws jut out from the bottom plate.

Back