Tayda says what???

I just checked my last Tayda order from 2018. It was 8 x125b Enclosures and a load of pots. It cost me $8.96 for shipping to England and they were also running their awesome 15% off sales.

Man I didn't realise at the time just how cheap Tayda was.

Reactions: spi
@brightlight - DHL has a perfect record on my Tayda shipments to New Hampshire. Generally under two days and between $2 and an $12 based on some mysterious formula factoring price and box size. I don't have much other experience with international shipping, but I'm always shocked at how cheap and fast it is.

DHL usually takes 4-5 days to get here (Northwest Connecticut) and dispatches out of somewhere in the Hudson valley
This is very encouraging considering I'm in upstate NY. Thanks for the confidence, I'm going DHL next order for sure!

taydas shipping confuses me. I was at 14$ with two enclosures and parts for one build (commissioned build so I always figure out exact parts cost with shipping) and customer wanted a second enclosure for some reason.
I then add a bunch of stuff for me resistor and cap restock mainly, gets down to 10.50 at 80ish dollars, add an enclosure and some jacks, shipping goes back up to 11.50. Makes me wonder if there’s like a box size weight ratio or something, while resistors don’t weight much they weigh something.

taydas shipping confuses me. I was at 14$ with two enclosures and parts for one build (commissioned build so I always figure out exact parts cost with shipping) and customer wanted a second enclosure for some reason.
I then add a bunch of stuff for me resistor and cap restock mainly, gets down to 10.50 at 80ish dollars, add an enclosure and some jacks, shipping goes back up to 11.50. Makes me wonder if there’s like a box size weight ratio or something, while resistors don’t weight much they weigh something.
If you're not doing enclosures, it drops as cart value goes up. It will drop very low, not sure about .99 anymore but I've had it under $2 iirc. That was a bulk component restock and no enclosures-small box.
I think it's basically a handling fee that they decrease as you buy more.
If you order $10 in resistors, they aren't making enough to cover the labor and materials...
So there's a mysterious sliding scale.

I’ve had bad experiences with all shippers at some point, except DHL, but I’ve used them least. UPS, USPS, FedEx - problems at some point in time. I shipped a bunch of DIY amps and DACs (in two fairly large boxes) to AudioScienceReview, and FedEx completely lost them. They did reimburse me the declared value, but as it was almost all DIY stuff, it took a very long time to collect all my invoices.

Shipping prices in general make no sense to me. You can’t really ship anything of non-trivial size domestically in the USA for much less than $10. I like the USPS small flat rate box because it’s convenient - but even that is about $8 I think… even if I’m just shipping one town over (though to be fair, it’s also the same shipping to the other end of the country).

I’ve ordered all kinds of random stuff from china over the years via eBay or AliExpress - sure it takes 2-4 weeks to arrive, but shipping is often free or negligible, and that’s on top of stuff that is already unbelievably cheap.

With Tayda, I’ve always waited until I have a fairly large order, and I’ve always been impressed at how cheap the surprisingly fast DHL shipping is. For smaller orders I usually go domestic (stomp box parts, love my switches, DigiKey, mouser, etc).

I only recently realized that I should be buying common-value resistors in 100 lot sizes! Had I realized that a few years ago, I think I’d have saved a non-trivial amount of money!

If only high-quality film caps were as cheap as resistors!

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how those who've "happily" used DHL have managed to get their stuff without paying DHeLL's exorbitant "brokerage ₣€€$"...

⁉️❓‼️

I'm curious as to how those who've "happily" used DHL have managed to get their stuff without paying DHeLL's exorbitant "brokerage ₣€€$"...

⁉️❓‼️
FWIW in Finland I don't get any brokerage fees, I just pay the customs fees (well, tax really) myself. But I imagine it varies by country, I could pay DHL to do it for me but that's expensive as hell. I think all the courier services allow you to either pay them to do the customs declaration for you (costs a lot) or you can do it yourself (free but a pain in the ass).

FWIW in Finland I don't get any brokerage fees, I just pay the customs fees (well, tax really) myself. But I imagine it varies by country, I could pay DHL to do it for me but that's expensive as hell. I think all the courier services allow you to either pay them to do the customs declaration for you (costs a lot) or you can do it yourself (free but a pain in the ass).

I don't mind paying customs fees, to Customs.
What I don't like is when DHuL/UoPS/Fed-Up volunteer themselves to be my broker without my having asked them to do so; I've yet to find that self-service option — it's just a tick-box for choosing a shipping company and that's it. I'll look for fine-print links next time I order stuff, but I'm fairly sure there are no sub-options after having chosen a shipping method on the vendors' sites I've used.

Everything has gone up in price lately, too, such as fuel-prices so shipping has gone up which means goods/commodities have gone up... It's like inflation's booster-rockets have an endless supply of rocket fuel and aren't burning up — how high of an orbit must we go?

Ooops. I've broken my vow to bitch less about $hipping ... Well, actually, I have bitched less about it, but am still bitching. 😝

So I was bored and started adding just resistors. At 260$ worth of resistors it’s 2$ and some change. Soon as you go over 4kgs tough shipping takes a big jump. At 5kgs worth of resistors at 330$ it’s over 20$ the line is at 4kg though where the more you buy seems to stop going down.

Back