TH Black Eye (Soldano GTO) prototype build

Here's the second one I built. Man I love this pedal!!

2CGW0nJ.jpg
That's a sweet looking pedal. So many things to like. The gold stomp is a nice touch.

I don't usually record demos as I'm a hack of a musician, but I have some weird/special Black Eyes I'm going to be selling on reverb and wanted to throw together a demo of them. So if you've never heard what a Black Eye sounds like, this gives you some idea.

I am working on one for you but its of the original with the buffer board. This sounds amazing, what kind of Matchless is that? SC-30?

DC-30, but it's a Ceriatone cleverly disguised as a Matchless :censored: it sounds just as good as every (literally only one) real Matchless I've played, but I'm a sucker for appearances.

Also the Les Paul is a Chibson :censored:
That was my next question because I have not seen a semi hollow Gibson Les Paul before. I love it!

Huh? This is the first time I put it together. I didn't want to burn through a bunch of 3PDT switches before having a confirmed solution.
The new replacement Buffer Footswitch PCB has the Input Jack wire going straigt to the Footswitch & another going to the Main PCB.
Wait til vigilante398 confirms the changes!

The new replacement Buffer Footswitch PCB has the Input Jack wire going straigt to the Footswitch & another going to the Main PCB.
Wait til vigilante398 confirms the changes!

Ahh, I see now. I was confused. Okay, so I have not installed it correctly since I haven't seen updated build docs. I'll await @vigilante398's input.

Mmkay, I put another of the buffer boards into another oscillating build and it took care of that one too, so the latest buffer is good to go. I'm putting a PCB order together today (as I do more often than I probably should) and I'll get a bunch of them on order so I can get them out into the world. The only catch with them is that the wire from the input jack needs to go directly to the footswitch PCB, the trace on the main PCB goes too close to output traces so it oscillates even with the buffer. I'll get this all written up with pictures for reference before the buffers get here.

Did you change the Input & Power lead wire routing.
You can't just swap the Footswitch Breakout PCB???
Ahh, I see now. I was confused. Okay, so I have not installed it correctly since I haven't seen updated build docs. I'll await @vigilante398's input.
You don't need to change the power wire routing, just the input jack wire. I'll try to get updated instructions together today (tuesday) and start getting my life organized to the point where I can send these buffer boards out en masse.

I apologize to everyone that's been waiting on this, this last week or so has been a bit of a mess.

Mmkay, I got a couple things done tonight. The first being the instructions document for the buffer board: Buffer Board Instructions.pdf

The second was finding out the answer to a question I get asked a lot, how long does the pedal hold onto the high voltage before it's safe to handle?

Method:
  • The Black Eye was powered by a regulated benchtop power supply set for 9.35V output at 950mA of current
  • An oscilloscope probe was attached to the 9V input power
  • An additional oscilloscope probe was attached to the high voltage rail
  • The Black Eye was powered up and allowed to warm up for 3 minutes for each test
  • The benchtop power supply was switched off
  • Measurement was taken on the oscilloscope from the time power was shut off to the time the high voltage rail reached 0V
Results:

For the sake of more data points, I measured a Black Eye with no tubes installed, one tube installed, and both tubes installed.
  • No tubes installed (no load) = 7.90 seconds until capacitor reaches 0V
  • One tube installed = 6.85 seconds until capacitor reaches 0V
  • Two tubes installed = 6.65 seconds until capacitor reaches 0V
Conclusion:

Unplug your power supply and count to ten, then it should be safe to handle.

This might have been covered already but, although I see that a revision of the DIY Black Eye PCB is now available, are there any plans to release a DIY PCB of the Black Eye II that is for sale in the Pedal Shop?

Back