The Protoboard Chronicles: The Replacement Fuzz

I think there is enough info here for me to do a ground pour even with my simple manual one sided approach.
Lemme zoom back out and talk about the advantage of them too. Should have done that first probably lol
  • It allows you to prioritize routing signal traces as short as possible by removing the most cumbersome net trace from the routing process
  • The larger ground surface (compared to a regular track) has lower impedance, which means that there’s less impact and chance of noise from voltage differences across ground from active components
  • The pour around signal traces effectively does the job of a shielded wire, reducing crosstalk between parallel signal paths

Lemme zoom back out and talk about the advantage of them too. Should have done that first probably lol
  • It allows you to prioritize routing signal traces as short as possible by removing the most cumbersome net trace from the routing process
  • The larger ground surface (compared to a regular track) has lower impedance, which means that there’s less impact and chance of noise from voltage differences across ground from active components
  • The pour around signal traces effectively does the job of a shielded wire, reducing crosstalk between parallel signal paths

And is the concept of the pour applicable for someone like me not using the typical schematic to PCB conversion in these programs?

I typically do rough drafts of layouts in DIYLC and then single side manual routes in DipTrace.

Some white sock noodling on what I have so far. This has a real edge to it which is nice but I need to reclaim so oomph and note bloom for feedback tones. Might try bumping the emitter cap back up to 10 uf. The Q2 bias pot has a subtle but noticeable, and broad, sweep to it:

Reactions: fig
Some white sock noodling on what I have so far. This has a real edge to it which is nice but I need to reclaim so oomph and note bloom for feedback tones. Might try bumping the emitter cap back up to 10 uf. The Q2 bias pot has a subtle but noticeable, and broad, sweep to it:

My favorite part was when it went wahwahwaaaaahwahwahwahwahwahwah.

The modified PedalPCB buffer did the trick!
Interesting. Might have to take a look at your thread about that. My 1990s crybaby is being a little weird in bypass. I might just take the whole board out and put a tearjerker board in, as it sounds kinda crappy for whatever reason. The person who gifted it to me also replaced the pot on it without choosing the same value, so that could also be a problem.

A few things:

1.) Thanks to @finebyfine for the crash course in ground fills!

2.) Thanks to @PedalPCB for giving me the inspiration to even want to do my own boards

3.) Thanks to the good natured ball-busting of @Harry Klippton and @thewintersoldier and @thesmokingman and @Stickman393 for helping me try and step my game up at all

4.) Special thanks to @thewintersoldier for getting me back to basics and what makes a circuit tick rather than letting me reinvent the Fuzz Factory

5.) Thanks to @fig for being an all-around great guy and for instilling a spirit of contests and giveaways here.

I’ve decided to break up my Universal Board idea. When I went to revise it, it was just too busy, with added jumpers and just not enough real estate to house my revised I/O scheme.

So I’ve decided to call these new board the Enhanced series. Classic circuits with small enhancements. First up is the Enhanced Fuzz Face, the basis for “The Fuzz”, which is the Fuzz 2022 giveaway circuit:

38393425-41F6-4A6F-999C-077DC0581755.png 2182A70E-6ED1-4EB4-917E-73949F5DD001.png

It has a few tweaks on the classic circuit:

1.) The simple control set of Fuzz and Volume is expanded to include a Pre-Gain, which I’ve included on all my fuzzes.

2.) There is a slot for a series resistor off the output of the Pre-Gain. This does 2 things: It makes it so that when Pre-Gain is full up, there is a small targeted resistance to kill hum and other noise and it interacts with:

3.) The cap from base to ground of Q1. This is a trick borrowed from the MK II Tonebender. Here it is MUCH smaller than on the MK II, as we simply want it to form a high pass filter with the series fixed resistor off of the Pre-Gain. It can be set to not mess with the treble content of the pedal and simply filter out RF and other noise.

4.) Dedicated slots for B-C caps on both transistors, if needed.

5.) Dedicated a lot for a feedback bypass cap. With a higher gain Fuzz Face, this is critical for squelching noise and oscillation.

6.) Q2 has a bias trimmer and an output/Mids trimmer.

7.) Dedicated slot for a resistor in series with the wiper of the Fuzz pot and the emitter cap. Another way to limit the max range of the pot and mimic the “Turn the fuzz control down” method of eliminating fizziness and noise in higher gain units.

8.) Lastly, parallel slots for emitter caps. Sometimes you want more than 6.8 uf and less than 10 uf or you simply want something like 15 uf from modern values.

Awesome job @Big Monk. Really cool to see this come together and I hope you're as proud of it as you should be!

I think you've struck a really nice balance in terms of customizability without throwing the kitchen sink at it, or making it an 8 knob fuzz. Several of the options you've added are ones I've wished were on some boards, and the others that I never would have thought of all sound super useful.

I'd love to buy one once you get them in!

Awesome job @Big Monk. Really cool to see this come together and I hope you're as proud of it as you should be!

I think you've struck a really nice balance in terms of customizability without throwing the kitchen sink at it, or making it an 8 knob fuzz. Several of the options you've added are ones I've wished were on some boards, and the others that I never would have thought of all sound super useful.

I'd love to buy one once you get them in!

I’m going to use the same concept for MK II/Supa boards, Rangemaster, Tonebender MK I, MK III, etc. Enhanced versions of the classics.

You don’t have to buy one. I’ll give you one!

Very cool, I know you have been working on this for a bit, are you planning on any sound samples in the near future? I have some of those 🎩 GE transistors, I don’t remember where they came form( probably small bear a while ago) or why I even got them. And I’m not even sure what to build with them( a fuzz of course.)

Very cool, I know you have been working on this for a bit, are you planning on any sound samples in the near future? I have some of those 🎩 GE transistors, I don’t remember where they came form( probably small bear a while ago) or why I even got them. And I’m not even sure what to build with them( a fuzz of course.)

I’m gonna put in an order this week for about 20 boards.

My plan is to make a prototype with sockets for most parts that would have to change for different transistors. Then I’ll put a unit together and post clips.

I’m not sure I can do the hybrid for the giveaway. The GE 2N169s I have left are a personal stash and I’m not sure I can swing buying the 36 or so I’d need to sort and spec for the Q2 gain range.

So “The Fuzz” may end up being all silicon. That will allow me to stock up on some desirable units from SBE and work with the giveaway winners to tweak the circuit to their liking.

This is pretty close to how my personal hybrid sounds right now, although this was built on a leftover V3 board.

Last changes.

I was putting together a rough draft of the Enhanced MK II boards with emitter resistors. I realized that since Silicon MK II unitscan bebuilt with run of the mill modern silicons using emitter resistors to drop the gain, that this would be useful for the Enhanced Fuzz Face boards as well.

If not used, you can just put 0 ohm jumper resistors in or simple jumpers.

EFF 1.PNG EFF 2.PNG

I need to so a quality check on these and then i'm ordering 20.

Reactions: fig
Back