Trumpeter no Sound

Thomasyoung

Hi all,

Tried to make some sounds from Trumpeter PCB all set but now I don´t have any sound from this pedal, I think I did all the soldering right, but once I turn the pedal on the led is lighting but any sounds at all... Really anoying after all the build no sounds :(

Any ideas what can be ?

PXL_20231109_152709993.jpg

Thanks

Vote for optical illusion.

Switch looks soldered to me, though I can see how it wouldn't if I were on my phone instead of computer.

Looks like the toggle-switches both have blobs that may be cold joints. I'd use a solder-sucker to get rid of the excess and reheat the board's pad and pot-leg and reflow.

Get out the DMM and test for continuity between signal and ground, may be there's a short somewhere....

Pic of the other side of the board SVP. "Rock it before you box it".

Vote for optical illusion.

Switch looks soldered to me, though I can see how it wouldn't if I were on my phone instead of computer.

Looks like the toggle-switches both have blobs that may be cold joints. I'd use a solder-sucker to get rid of the excess and reheat the board's pad and pot-leg and reflow.

Get out the DMM and test for continuity between signal and ground, may be there's a short somewhere....

Pic of the other side of the board SVP. "Rock it before you box it".
Yes the PCB switch is soldered, not the issue.

I think the issue might be the toggle switches because if I press them down on top I can make the pedal works OR making fuzz sound.
Now my concern is can be a toggle switch broken? Is normal when we press down a toggle switch on top making them connected ?
Strange thing is that happened with both toggle switches.
Like you said can be a cold joint, I really don´t know.

Yes the PCB switch is soldered, not the issue.

I think the issue might be the toggle switches because if I press them down on top I can make the pedal works OR making fuzz sound.
Now my concern is can be a toggle switch broken? Is normal when we press down a toggle switch on top making them connected ?
Strange thing is that happened with both toggle switches.
Like you said can be a cold joint, I really don´t know.
A cold joint can behave the way you describe, ie pressure makes it work.

Switches can be faulty from the factory, don’t rule that out.

Strange thing is that happen with both toggle switches.
Well, each have a blob where a good conical solder-joint should be (both at outer edge of PCB). So there could be a cold joint in each one. Solder could also be leaked under the switch where you can’t see it (or scrap of wire) shorting signal to ground.

Switches are robust, but even a 3PDT can fail after too much heat is applied. Did you allow sufficient cooling time between soldering lugs on 3PDT and SPDTs?

Have you made a signal-tester to follow the signal along its path, see where it disappears?

Used the same described on the PCB provided by Musikding.
As an experiment, remove the Q2 transistor and try the pedal. Under normal operating circumstances, it will still make fuzz with only Q1, albeit not as rude. A defective or backward transistor would kill the signal completely.

Also, if you have them, try a set of transistors with untrimmed leads. I’ve seen many instances where transistor/socket mating was the problem; a new set would allow you to get the leads in there as deep as possible, if only for testing purposes!

Back