Using prewired LED's with CLR included?

HI all! Still new to sourcing my own parts for builds, and I'm working on building the El Sol Distortion as a first try.

I purchased all the components, and began installing, before I looked closer at the specs of the LED purchased from Love My Switches. The LED is a pre-wired LED with a resistor built in.

I have already installed the 4K7 resistor on my PCB.

What would be the outcome if I use the pre-wired LED while keeping the 4K7 resistor on my board? Will the LED be dimmer than expected?

Would it be better to remove the 4K7 resistor entirely? If so, do I just desolder it and connect the LED to the "A" and "K"?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sean

HI all! Still new to sourcing my own parts for builds, and I'm working on building the El Sol Distortion as a first try.

I purchased all the components, and began installing, before I looked closer at the specs of the LED purchased from Love My Switches. The LED is a pre-wired LED with a resistor built in.

I have already installed the 4K7 resistor on my PCB.

What would be the outcome if I use the pre-wired LED while keeping the 4K7 resistor on my board? Will the LED be dimmer than expected?

Would it be better to remove the 4K7 resistor entirely? If so, do I just desolder it and connect the LED to the "A" and "K"?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sean
Hey, welcome! Yeah, keeping the 4K7 on the board will mean it is in series with the built-in resistor in your pre-wired LED, so it will likely be dimmer than you want.

I'd imagine you'd have to remove the 4K7 from the board and replace it with a jumper, otherwise you are breaking the connection.

If you’re not comfortable with desoldering yet, you could wire a jumper across that 4k7. A jumper in parallel with a resistor will have the same effect as a jumper by itself.
Being a real noob here, what would that jumper look like, if I kept the 4K7 resistor in place? IMG_5883.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5882.jpeg
    IMG_5882.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 4
If you have a 9V battery, a 4K resistor and a breadboard, you can check the dimness by hooking them up. You may find it's still bright enough.

Use a leg you cut off from a component (resistor, capacitor, etc.) and solder it from one pad to the other, like the red line. You can also use wire, what ever is easier/available.

Back