What is this?

radam84

So I found this pot (pictured below) and I have questions, questions I dont even really know how to ask lol. Would it be useful in a practical sense in pedal building? If so what are some things it could be used for? The ad doesnt say if they're log or audio, but one picture does show a G in front of 100K but I cant find anything on what G means soooo, whats that all about? Im thinking with 10 full turns you could get pretty picky about setting things up (again practical, IDK)
Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg

A Wire pot i think. There is a unisolated wire very evenly wound around a high ring and the wiper turns 300 degr. around on the inside touching the wire. Built this way it should be linear.

It's a multi-turn (10 turns) potentiometer. Would it be useful in pedals? In my opinion - not very much. Can you give an example of when you need to adjust gain, tone or volume so precisely? :) Well... maybe some voltage regulation, but then multi-turn trimmers are most often used. First of all, they are smaller. And mostly you set it and forget it.

Could be useful for the carrier frequency on a ring mod— would be a lot easier to perfectly dial it in, since most ring mods I’ve used have a carrier frequency range over 3 octaves, and even a difference of 10¢ can make a huge impact on the resultant harmonies you wind up with

You could build a Bunny Fuzz....

Assuming you have some leftover bunny shaped Peeps from Easter. :ROFLMAO:

1660314068460-png.30614

It's a multi-turn (10 turns) potentiometer. Would it be useful in pedals? In my opinion - not very much. Can you give an example of when you need to adjust gain, tone or volume so precisely? :) Well... maybe some voltage regulation, but then multi-turn trimmers are most often used. First of all, they are smaller. And mostly you set it and forget it.
right on this is helpful, thanks.

Could be useful for the carrier frequency on a ring mod— would be a lot easier to perfectly dial it in, since most ring mods I’ve used have a carrier frequency range over 3 octaves, and even a difference of 10¢ can make a huge impact on the resultant harmonies you wind up with
Ok so there is some practicality to it I guess eh, cool. I do really like playing around octave pedals.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I love this place. I asked a question on TGP on wednesday at noon, still nothing. Here it feels like Im getting answers before I click 'post'. Very glad I found this place, cheers guys.

Back