What's on the workbench?

I had thought the PCB Guitar Mania offering was a copy of this pedal, but you're right, it's a preamp based on the head.

I'm in no hurry, I have more projects on the go than I can poke a stick at. I am glad to hear that it's in the queue though 🙌
Can confirm the pcb guitar mania is NOT the mxr 5150. Theres not much gain to it.

the mxr 5150 is the teeeeets. So is the diamondhead. That was a complete shock- i got it on a whim for cheap and blew me away. The demos online just havent done it justice. Maybe wes hauch’s. But still didnt sound like what it can do.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the board offered by any of the other guys is exactly the same as the MXR. I believe those are JFET adaptations of the amp schematic.... This is (quite) a bit different. This has opamps, and more opamps, and what's that? Oh.... more opamps.

Not saying that's better or worse, just not the same.

(If there IS a schematic of this thing already floating around I'd love to see it, it could sure save me some time)

It's going to be a little while, that circuit is rather complicated, but I did crack it open a few days ago to put it in queue.
I made the PCB Guitar Mania version of this and was highly disappointed in it, though now there is a modded version of the build doc claiming that it actually gives it some high gain sounds (lots of complaints on the original board that it was essentially just an overdrive, certainly not high gain). I haven't gone back and switched out parts to see if they actually fixed it, but theirs certainly uses a bunch of op amps and no JFETs, not sure how it matches up to what you've found: https://pcbguitarmania.com/product/wolfgang-5051/

Edit: It has two JFETS, an input buffer and maybe the second is an output buffer of some kind? A little strange, it's right before the EQ section and the last op amp, which I would assume is acting as a buffer as well.

That being said, I'd like to build this again and see how it sounds from a better source lol

Wolfgang = Bajaman's EVH overdrive. It's definitely not a high gain pedal. Both jfets act as a buffers.

Back