What's your favorite "Swiss Army Knife" dirt pedal

jhaneyzz

I'm looking for a super flexible (ideally PCB) build to make for some friends that want a "one drive to rule them all" pedal.

I have a Hamstead Odyssey Intergalactic Driver that DEFNITELY covers all the bases, It can sound like pretty much any other Boost/Drive/Distortion pedal I have.The

The BYOC Crown Jewel seems like an interesting pedal

"Swiss army knife" means "versatile" ? If so, some good distortion with 2 or 3 useful mods on toggleswitches should be quite versatile.

DOD250, BD-2, heavily modded DS-1, all with extra possibilities, would all be fine. I also like a good modded Corduroy Fuzz with a toggle to cut the boost section, allowing it to become a beautiful plexi-style overdrive, also able to work as preamp (I found this mod on this forum). Modded Corduroy can do preamp, overdrive, distortion and fuzz, with amazing sounds.

"Swiss-army knife" means self-sufficient ? In the sense that you don't want to have 2 or 3 circuits to shape the sound ?
If so, a good distortion with a terrific 3 band EQ is the least you can do.

Angry Charles, Mostortion, Formula 5F6 are among the most pleasing distortions I ever tried.

An extra Tone-TwEQ board, 2-in-1 with order switch and all, allows any good circuit to widely expend its possibilities.

RotoTone is also a simple and effective tool to add some clever features on every circuits.

My ultimate and best suggestion would be an EQD Palisades clone, it's the best exemple I know of both versatility and self-sufficiency.
Ask any swiss survivalist. It's a Tube screamer with all the mods, no real Mids control, though.

Last edited:
"Swiss army knife" means "versatile" ? If so, some good distortion with 2 or 3 useful mods on toggleswitches should be quite versatile.

DOD250, BD-2, heavily modded DS-1, all with extra possibilities, would all be fine. I also like a good modded Corduroy Fuzz with a toggle to cut the boost section, allowing it to become a beautiful plexi-style overdrive, also able to work as preamp (I found this mod on this forum). Modded Corduroy can do preamp, overdrive, distortion and fuzz, with amazing sounds.

"Swiss-army knife" means self-sufficient ? In the sense that you don't want to have 2 or 3 circuits to shape the sound ?
If so, a good distortion with a terrific 3 band EQ is the least you can do.

Angry Charles, Mostortion, Formula 5F6 are among the most pleasing distortions I ever tried.

An extra Tone-TwEQ board, 2-in-1 with order switch and all, allows any good circuit to widely expend its possibilities.

RotoTone is also a simple and effective tool to add some clever features on every circuits.

My ultimate and best suggestion would be an EQD Palisades clone, it's the best exemple I know of both versatility and self-sufficiency.
Ask any swiss survivalist. It's a Tube screamer with all the mods, no real Mids control, though.

That Stockade seems like an interesting pedal, especially from a "try it all and figure out what you really like" kinda thing.

Back
Top Bottom