Why Should We Clean Boards From Flux?

I primarily use Kester 331, which has conductive/corrosive flux residue per Kester's spec. It HAS to be cleaned or it will cause electrical problems. My typical workflow is to solder everything onto the board, solder on the wires for the offboard parts, then put the whole thing in a washing station then dry it in the oven for half an hour or so. Then I throw the board in the box, and everything that gets soldered after that I use Kester 44 for so I don't have to clean it.

You can always go with no clean flux! Hurry, one left at this price.... I got two pounds, works.
View attachment 47799
This shit is the bomb....

I switched to it a couple of weeks ago because some ancient dude recommended it... (well, at least 10% older than me)

I primarily use Kester 331, which has conductive/corrosive flux residue per Kester's spec. It HAS to be cleaned or it will cause electrical problems. My typical workflow is to solder everything onto the board, solder on the wires for the offboard parts, then put the whole thing in a washing station then dry it in the oven for half an hour or so. Then I throw the board in the box, and everything that gets soldered after that I use Kester 44 for so I don't have to clean it.
200w.gif

I've sold a few commissioned pedals lately, and I'll definitely clean those. I get those "oh man, it's so clean!" responses and they are totally stoked. And I try to clean them if I take pictures to show off. Other than that, if it's just for me to mess around with I usually don't bother too much.

I bet there's a strong correlation between those who clean flux off and those who have a tidy organised pedal-build work-bench...
I clean every spot of flux off, AND I don't even really have a workbench or anything to organize. Pictured is my entire pedal building business, which is on my desk at work. thumbnail.jpg

Edit: missing from pic are one cordless hand drill with step bit and hookup wire. I’m out of wire.

Last edited:
To me, the biggest benefit of Kester 331 is that it's water-soluble and doesn't require chemical removal. My process is very similar to @vigilante398's, except that I use Kester 245 for the final parts that won't get washed. The 245 produces minimal flux residue, especially compared to "44", so I usually leave it alone.

To me, the biggest benefit of Kester 331 is that it's water-soluble and doesn't require chemical removal. My process is very similar to @vigilante398's, except that I use Kester 245 for the final parts that won't get washed. The 245 produces minimal flux residue, especially compared to "44", so I usually leave it alone.
I don’t usually use solvents to remove the flux. It chips off cleanly in seconds with prodding of the tip of a little awl. I use the one on a Swiss Army knife or the type that come in eyeglass repair kits. I can completely clean both sides of a standard 125b pcb in about 2 minutes. It’s especially useful for the top of the pcb joints that are soldered after installation. If is a really big pcb I’ll use a couple of alcohol wipes to clean the solder side.

Back