Why Should We Clean Boards From Flux?

I clean every spot of flux off, AND I don't even really have a workbench or anything to organize. Pictured is my entire pedal building business, which is on my desk at work.View attachment 47884

Edit: missing from pic are one cordless hand drill with step bit and hookup wire. I’m out of wire.
I don't know how you built so many pedals with that iron. It takes several minutes to heat up and it immediately loses heat and it's slow to recover. I've made so many bum solder joints because of it. I know I shouldn't be blaming my tools but that station was frustrating to me.

Your minimalism is excellent. Where are all your parts, in cabinets?

I don't know how you built so many pedals with that iron. It takes several minutes to heat up and it immediately loses heat and it's slow to recover. I've made so many bum solder joints because of it. I know I shouldn't be blaming my tools but that station was frustrating to me.

Your minimalism is excellent. Where are all your parts, in cabinets?
I’ve had that iron for 10 years. It’s on 4-5 hours a day. Original tip on it. I’m sorry, I don’t have the same experience with it. I know it’s s cheap guy but it’s the best I’ve ever had and it works clean. I think I got it from small bear. All my parts are in the pink bags in the organizer to the left in the picture.

It would be interesting to hear more about your work flow, Betty.

Do you decide "I'll make 'X' number of 'this circuit'" and then order the parts specific to that run;
or do you have a parts stash that you update as you go, making the small runs?

How do you decide which circuit to do next? Requests on your store or do you have an emailer waiting list type thing going on?

Just a curious cat, not looking for you to reveal any of your trade secrets lest competition adopts your methods. Really though, from what you've described thus far, you have your own niche and have no competition.

It's all simply Faskinaytin!

It would be interesting to hear more about your work flow, Betty.

Do you decide "I'll make 'X' number of 'this circuit'" and then order the parts specific to that run?
Yes!
or do you have a parts stash that you update as you go, making the small runs?
Only if I find something cool at a surplus shop, then I’ll set up a run around it.
How do you decide which circuit to do next? Requests on your store or do you have an emailer waiting list type thing going
Both. About 60% of my builds are commissioned, the rest are revisiting best sellers and my own exploration of new releases. I stick to categories of effects that I enjoy and can make money on. Also I don’t mess with certain categories of effects, like compressors and overdrive. They suck, are very hard to test, and attract assholes.

Since others have answered the question (I like Betty’s answer the best) I’ll share what I use. I used QD cleaner for over a year with great results. I then switched to 99% isopropyl alcohol, with the exact same results and more $$ saved. A plus is that it seems to dry quicker and leaves no visible film.

I clean every spot of flux off, AND I don't even really have a workbench or anything to organize. Pictured is my entire pedal building business, which is on my desk at work.View attachment 47884

Edit: missing from pic are one cordless hand drill with step bit and hookup wire. I’m out of wire.
Oh man, I was pretty self conscious about my soldering iron, but turns out you have the same one. I think I was just being impatient and not letting it warm up completely before, or afraid of ramping up the heat.

I stick to categories of effects that I enjoy and can make money on. Also I don’t mess with certain categories of effects, like compressors and overdrive. They suck, are very hard to test, and attract assholes.
I can definitely see fuzz buyers being less fussy (fuzzy?) about their pedals compared to compressor buyers. Or even overdrive buyers.

As for flux, I've never cleaned it up (one exception was when I had a short in the 3DPT board, the LED specifically - turns out it was one hair from stranded wire. I use solid core now), maybe I'll give the chipping thing a try. Or if I ever put my pedals up for sale I might give isopropyl alcohol a try, just so it looks nicer.

Yes!

Only if I find something cool at a surplus shop, then I’ll set up a run around it.

Both. About 60% of my builds are commissioned, the rest are revisiting best sellers and my own exploration of new releases. I stick to categories of effects that I enjoy and can make money on. Also I don’t mess with certain categories of effects, like compressors and overdrive. They suck, are very hard to test, and attract assholes.

You are rad, @Betty Wont

Oh man, I was pretty self conscious about my soldering iron, but turns out you have the same one. I think I was just being impatient and not letting it warm up completely before, or afraid of ramping up the heat.
Just like in rock and roll, it’s not the gear, it’s the talent. Fancy tools don’t make you a better builder, just a poorer one. I’ve seen plenty of shit builds with burnt caps and such from braggart benches. It’s broad in this hobby (music and building) that folks chase “better’ tools rather than practicing.

Just like in rock and roll, it’s not the gear, it’s the talent. Fancy tools don’t make you a better builder, just a poorer one. I’ve seen plenty of shit builds with burnt caps and such from braggart benches. It’s broad in this hobby (music and building) that folks chase “better’ tools rather than practicing.
When I watched my mentor shoot a national commercial with MY GoPro.....that's when I learned that rule. It's the photographer, NOT the camera!
ROCK N ROLL!

I don't understand sometimes the amount of flux I see on boards, or the amount of solder either. I use the 63/37 kester with 1% flux and I have the smallest amount left on the board. Any left over and I like to first scrape off as it will literally just pop off the board, then I will use a 99% IPA on a q tip to remove any trace of flux left behind. The amount I clean is so minimal I don't really consider it a step in the process because I learned how to get it right the first time while soldering. Like Betty said, it's the technique and not tools. Most of the stuff I use regularly is diy, repurposed/modified or cheap.

Exactly Betty. I've got a killer soldering iron, but it doesn't improve my skill at all, only I can do that. I have amazing guitars and amps, none have made my playing sound any better.....though they DO reproduce my screw-ups with amazing accuracy! As you rightly said, I can't improve through purchases, only practices.

Exactly Betty. I've got a killer soldering iron, but it doesn't improve my skill at all, only I can do that. I have amazing guitars and amps, none have made my playing sound any better.....though they DO reproduce my screw-ups with amazing accuracy! As you rightly said, I can't improve through purchases, only practices.
I used to golf. Bigger betterer driver just helped me hit farther out of bounds 🤣

I can definitely see fuzz buyers being less fussy
Vintage fuzz people are some of the most picky folks imaginable.
I don't understand sometimes the amount of flux I see on boards, or the amount of solder either. I use the 63/37 kester with 1% flux and I have the smallest amount left on the board.
I’d be willing to bet it’s Kester 44. Lotta flux with that stuff.
I don’t mess with certain categories of effects, like compressors and overdrive. They suck, are very hard to test, and attract assholes.
I really like building comps. But my goal with selecting/designing circuits is stripping them down to bare minimum panel controls.

When I watched my mentor shoot a national commercial with MY GoPro.....that's when I learned that rule. It's the photographer, NOT the camera!
ROCK N ROLL!
As a professional photographer sometimes I will set up a shot taking into account where the light is, where the reflections are coming from, then arrange the people for the shot choose my aperture according to how much depth of field I need, etc etc. Then I'll take a test shot with my digital camera, inspect the results on my screen and have someone there look over my shoulder at the shot and say "wow, you must have a really good camera!"

I've been at parties where a doctor/lawyer/whatever says to me:
"Oh, you're a writer! I've thought about doing a bit of writing myself, on weekends & in my spare time."

I just smile because I'm too polite, but what I really want to say is:
"Oh, you're a doctor! I've thought about doing a bit of operating myself, on weekends & in my spare time."

If the iron gets cold and doesn't go back to temperature and instead the tip oxidizes I have to wait forever to make the next joint. Then when I take a break to prep the next batch of components it either sits there at full temp, oxidizing, or I turn it down and then I have to wait till it heats up again.
It has nothing to do with blaming tools, using that iron for me was like trying to eat soup with a fork. It works for a few joints, like soldering a jack, but it doesn't fit my workflow for building pedals. My soldering technique is the same, my new iron just makes it possible for me to use it.
Why play a badly set up guitar when you can set it up properly?

I don't understand sometimes the amount of flux I see on boards, or the amount of solder either. I use the 63/37 kester with 1% flux and I have the smallest amount left on the board. Any left over and I like to first scrape off as it will literally just pop off the board, then I will use a 99% IPA on a q tip to remove any trace of flux left behind. The amount I clean is so minimal I don't really consider it a step in the process because I learned how to get it right the first time while soldering. Like Betty said, it's the technique and not tools. Most of the stuff I use regularly is diy, repurposed/modified or cheap.

I use lead free solder (only really because the smell of leaded bothers me a ton) which requires a decent amount of flux. So that’s at least my reason.

Back