What's on the workbench?

I'm team Aeropress, but I don't mind shitty Folgers either

I used to make coffee with an Aeropress! Or, technically, I made Americanos. That plus fresh-ground quality beans made the best coffee I ever had. That was in the "before times", meaning, before I had kids, and time wasn't quite as precious as it now is.

I still grind whole beans, but use a regular old drip maker. Gets me 80% there with 20% of the effort.

I resorted to a <gasp> Keurig about a year ago, just because I didn't have time to bother with a traditional old coffee maker...

It's nowhere near as good, the pods are just too dang expensive, and I feel like I'm single-handedly killing dolphins every time I toss a pod in the trash can... My machine is starting to get a bit iffy, every few cups it decides to make about a 1/4 cup of cold watered down coffee...

When it finally dies I'm going back to a plain old drip coffee maker...

My in-laws love their Keurig and they buy the super ultra mega premium pods and the coffee is still just OK. They found some ultra premium coffee in biodegradable pods, so less environmental impact (in theory).

I'm actually finding that bean grinding is getting to be too much of a time sink, and the wife is completely checked out on it. At work, we have Nespresso machines. I always thought they were just for espresso, but a co-worker gave me the rundown on them, and it seems like they're actually a straight up better Keurig. For one, the pods are aluminum; they come with a postage pre-paid bag for the used pods. You can simply drop the bag in the mailbox, and they go to a facility where the aluminum is recycled and the coffee is composted. Assuming the process actually works as advertised, it should be significantly better than Keurig in terms of environmental impact.

It does make espresso, but also coffee (or maybe Americano), and the coffee pods we have here at work are way better than the Keurig junk, and at least on-par with the drip stuff I usually bring from home. I'm really tempted to get one for home, and the wife is strongly advocating for it.

Only downside I can see is that the pods aren't particularly cheap. But if it gives me more time for pedal building, it might just be worth it! :)

I resorted to a <gasp> Keurig about a year ago, just because I didn't have time to bother with a traditional old coffee maker...

It's nowhere near as good, the pods are just too dang expensive, and I feel like I'm single-handedly killing dolphins every time I toss a pod in the trash can... My machine is starting to get a bit iffy, every few cups it decides to make about a 1/4 cup of cold watered down coffee...

When it finally dies I'm going back to a plain old drip coffee maker...
I go hard on a old percolator, the keurig taste like shit and is a complete waste. I fill up the percolator with water then add a half of a cup of course ground to the basket and away i go.

A while back @jimilee commented that my leg is bouncing at a different rate than what I am playing, its cuz i am all hopped up.

I killed the Keurig in 3 weeks. POS…give me my Mr Coffee w/ 12-cup carafe.

I always figured you'd have a setup like this:

RXXSf.jpg

• Love
Reactions: fig
I killed the Keurig in 3 weeks. POS…give me my Mr Coffee w/ 12-cup carafe.

I'm on my third (and last) one....

The first one never broke, but after like 18 months I started thinking about how much mold had to be accumulating inside the internal reservoir... You'll never convince me that the occasional vinegar "descale" rinse is good enough.

The second one broke in less than 6 months.... My third one is on the way out....

I'm headed back to a good old Mr Coffee too... I might even spring for the premium model with a clock so it can blink 12:00 like my oven and microwave.

I'm still waiting on the Star Wars / Sling Blade mashup...

What'd ya kill daddy fer? What'd ya kill daddy fer?

Duke, I'm yer deddy boy.

Nahhhwww!!!

I just seen red. I picked up a laser sword that was sittin there by the sallyport, some folks call it a lightsaber, I call it a laser sword.

Well I went in there in the cockpit, hit daddy upside the head with it.

Killed 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good old Star Wars..... If you aren't caught up avoid the spoiler.

Remember the one where they revealed the entire story had been taking place in space?

Mind blown.
I've never really watched much of the Star Wars movies...
I'm really just impressed that we can nest spoilers....
How low can you go?
To the windows!
To the walls!
That's all.... :ROFLMAO:

I'm still waiting on the Star Wars / Sling Blade mashup...

What'd ya kill daddy fer? What'd ya kill daddy fer?

Duke, I'm yer deddy boy.

Nahhhwww!!!

I just seen red. I picked up a laser sword that was sittin there by the sallyport, some folks call it a lightsaber, I call it a laser sword.

Well I went in there in the cockpit, hit daddy upside the head with it.

Killed 'em.

Riveting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn loving all the coffee talk. I love coffee, and my wife and I have tried all the different ways to brew. She used to be a barista. But unfortunately caffeine just wrecks me. In my mid twenties a had to restrict myself to no caffeine before noon so that I could fall asleep at a decent hour. Then maybe because I was drinking less of it, it had an even stronger effect! I swear if I drink even a cup of tea in the morning, it prevents me from getting a good nights sleep. So it’s a zero caffeine lifestyle for me 😩.

But anyway I thought I’d chime in. My wife still drinks coffee all day long, and her favorite coffee to drink these days is this:

57C8B96B-4B3D-4F9A-B0F9-3252986B0B9C.jpeg
She says it’s 70% as good and 100% easier.

Used to get cold-brew/slow-brew 12hr dripped coffee from a place in HK, it was fanfreqntasty

Cold coffee I like black.
Iced coffee I like milk in it.
Hot coffee has to have milk in it, sometimes cream.

Tea — black or honey and lemon as per Bricksnbeatles pref, but ... I rarely drink tea.

Keurigs are garbawje, but if you use the recyclable pods or reusable pods... I suppose that's okay.

Decaffeinated is not coffee, it's sacrilege.

Beans that have made the Kessel Run are the best.

Reactions: fig
Back
Top Bottom