wire preference..

drgonzo1969

I know we have discussed this before but i couldnt dig up the old thread in search. I have been using the small bear stranded 22awg wire and recently bought some Tayda wire while small bear was out of stock..... I fuxking hate the tayda wire... small bear is back in stock but im curious on your guys thoughts on other brands of stranded bonded 22awg wire?

I love the SB pre -bond. So much so that I haven't really tried anyone else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I bought a spool of automotive-grade wire once (because purple) and that didn't go my way. Too much insulation. The SB stuff is just right.

I've searched for pre-bonded elsewhere, but didn't find anything in 22awg. IDK if I'm just lazy (probably…) but tinning the ends myself just became to much of a faff.

I love the SB pre -bond. So much so that I haven't really tried anyone else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I bought a spool of automotive-grade wire once (because purple) and that didn't go my way. Too much insulation. The SB stuff is just right.

I've searched for pre-bonded elsewhere, but didn't find anything in 22awg. IDK if I'm just lazy (probably…) but tinning the ends myself just became to much of a faff.
I ordered more SB wire. But I guess I'm just curious if there is a better option now. I don't even want to use the rest of this tayda wire

24 or 26 pre-bonded&tinned is better for 1590A builds.

Insulation material is key, too. I've got several rolls of crappy insulation that couldn't save itself from hot jalapeño-breath. So I get not wanting to use the Tayda wire.

What do you do, though? It was on sale and now I've gotta use it up. Saving the good stuff for builds for friends.

I can recommend the stuff Barry over at GuitarPCB sells. Holds its shape almost like solid-core, solders easily and the insulation takes a beating from the heating.

If you can deal with teflon insulation (it's harder to remove,) you'll love this:

tef.jpg

I didn't like teflon insulation at first, but now that I've mastered the fast wrist movement of removing the insulation, it's all I use now.
Mil-spec, silver coated copper strands, insulation that won't melt, pre-bonded, holds shape well. Click image for source.

Where my solid-core bros at?

I get some random Amazon stuff, and haven’t had any problems with it.

I get wire FOMO whenever one of these posts comes up. I go to all the links and look around. Prebond/ pre tinned looks like it’s probably awesome. I’m in the habit of color-coding my connections, and the idea of buying 4 or 5 colors to test something new is a lot.

What do you do, though? It was on sale and now I've gotta use it up.
Use it in some postmodernist art piece about the mundanity of modernity…or something.

I've got several rolls of crappy insulation that couldn't save itself from hot jalapeño-breath.
🤣

I don't even want to use the rest of this tayda wire
I remember buying some stuff from RadioShack a decade ago that I later found out was "reclaimed" or some other bit of language to indicate it wasn't primo. I feel your pain.

I'm also curious about 22 vs 24 gauge. Not wanting to upend the shopping cart, but it's it easier to fit into pad holes than 22? I found it flimsy, but I was testing with wire from an svga cable, so that might have been smaller than 24?

I use LMS and GuitarPCB, probably have a lifetime supply of each! 24 gauge is my preference.

All in on mil-spec Teflon silver coat as well.
Get mine from Apex Jr. He's on eBay but it's cheaper to buy through the website/mail. I kinda respect the old school business model.
It is a pain to strip, at least with every pair of strippers I own. I just use a razor. 24 ga is 0.16/ft, $15/100ft
Always has some interesting other goodies listed as well.

I get the 24 gauge solid silicone stuff from Amazon and as long as it’s not going to be moving around it’s awesome.

I used to use 22awg solid core Tayda stuff. I'd order it ten or twenty feet at a time and it would last for a while because I wasn't building tons of pedals. Michael Wong hipped me to this solid core wire with thick insulation and I like it quite a bit:

I hate stranded wire. I always had an issue trying to fit it into the pad holes on pcbs and it as probably even worse on vero. Maybe I was using 18 or 20 awg. I can't remember because it's been years since I messed with it.

Back