Double Overdrive choices

Other than two Blues Breakers (King Of Tone), what are some other overdrive circuits that stack well in series? (and in which order?)

I have some larger enclosures and would like to make some dual drives similar to KOT/Paragon.

Stacking overdrives has always been pretty hit or miss for me.

Does it have to be 2 of the same?

If not, here are some boutique combos:
  • TS + BB
  • TS + Guvnor/Crunchbox
  • TS + Timmy
  • Zendrive + Timmy
  • ODR-1 + Timmy
  • ODR-1 + BB
  • Klon + OCD
  • Klon + BB
  • TS + Rat
Nice list. Do you have any comments on how these combos sound? And just to be clear, you've listed the first pedal first? So, it's TS -> BB, etc.?

Barbershop & Barbershop

Elements & Elements

Elements & Barbershop

Barbershop & MultiDrive

MultiDrive & Elements

Elements & Ictineo

Ictineo & Barbershop

and

MultiDrive & Ictineo

Ictineo & Ictineo

Alas I have but one MultiDrive so cannot try:
MultiDrive & Multidrive

Of course, there are PCBs in the shop for 2 of the 4 mentioned above, the Fairfield and the Southampton: ie the Chop Shop and Drebbel.
There is also the Submersible Preamp.

So...
Chop Shop & Drebbel
Chop Shop & Chop Shop
Drebbel & Drebbel

Would be fun to try
Chop Shop & Submersible Pre
Submersible Pre & Drebbel
Submersible Pre & Submersible Pre

Unfortunately there are no PCBs for the Empress nor Dr Scientist pedals mentioned above.

Does it have to be 2 of the same?

If not, here are some boutique combos:
  • TS + BB
  • TS + Guvnor/Crunchbox
  • TS + Timmy
  • Zendrive + Timmy
  • ODR-1 + Timmy
  • ODR-1 + BB
  • Klon + OCD
  • Klon + BB
  • TS + Rat
I did a TubeScreamer and Guv’nor in the same box. Nice combination really- the Guv’nor does the Marshall-in-a-box thing well into a clean amp, hitting it with a tubescreamer reacts pretty much how you’d expect a tubescreamer into a Marshall to react (the classic 80s glam/hard rock tone)

i have a TS->triad fuzz combo that i almost have finished. my goal was the durham crazy horse heavy overdrive with a bias/sag knob. great info in this thread!

Derailer > OCD is my jam! Fuck this thing RIPS! Also not interested in the pot mods for the Derailer, my amp/neighbors aren't afraid of the blast

I am working on a commissioned Lollar OD (Cast Iron) -> Protein Blue (Pro10 Blue) which I think will work nicely but will need to report back once it's done. I imagine it could be order switched as well for decent sounds.

I personally prefer my stacked ODs when one has a simple tone control and the other has a more in-depth (2+ band) EQ. It generally allows for enough tone shaping to make both sides useful independently and stacked rather than being pigeon-holed by your tone knob. It also allows for a more precise adjustment when they're stacked.

Barbershop & Barbershop

Elements & Elements

Elements & Barbershop

Barbershop & MultiDrive

MultiDrive & Elements

Elements & Ictineo

Ictineo & Barbershop

and

MultiDrive & Ictineo

Ictineo & Ictineo

Alas I have but one MultiDrive so cannot try:
MultiDrive & Multidrive

Of course, there are PCBs in the shop for 2 of the 4 mentioned above, the Fairfield and the Southampton: ie the Chop Shop and Drebbel.
There is also the Submersible Preamp.

So...
Chop Shop & Drebbel
Chop Shop & Chop Shop
Drebbel & Drebbel

Would be fun to try
Chop Shop & Submersible Pre
Submersible Pre & Drebbel
Submersible Pre & Submersible Pre

Unfortunately there are no PCBs for the Empress nor Dr Scientist pedals mentioned above.
I've never even heard of most of these circuits. Do you have any comments about any of these combos?

I did a 125B-sized PCB that was a lightly-modded Boss OD-1 circuit into an OCD circuit and it sounded *awesome*; since TubeScreamer-into-a-dirty-Marshall-amp is a pretty classic combo, and an OCD somewhat Marshall-ey, it made sense to try and came out really great. I'd recommend something in that vein.

My approach now is to combine a strat enhencing low gain overdrive with a not too nasty distortion and this goes into a Foundation pedal. Not new, but approved.
The specific pedals still vary, so I doubt I'll ever box that.

Back