$100 Amazon Gift Card. What should I buy?

What hookup wire on Amazon is recommended? I ordered some from Tayda but they left it off my order and haven't gotten back with me about it so no telling how long it will be before I get some. Might as well order from Amazon.
Honestly, I've had no problems with some of the cheaper solid core stuff. Not sure if you like solid or stranded wire. Both have their pros and cons. A box of this will get you dozens of builds.

What hookup wire on Amazon is recommended? I ordered some from Tayda but they left it off my order and haven't gotten back with me about it so no telling how long it will be before I get some. Might as well order from Amazon.
It depends. If you like stranded, I usually go for 24-26 AWG or higher, there are plenty of options on Amazon!

You could get a few!
Did I miss something here?
61DBuG8KLDL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

If you think you'll be in it for the long run (who am I kidding, you will be), then it's worth it to invest in a good iron if you don't already have one.

I started out with a cheap $20 Weller and ended up spending $10/month replacing the crappy tips because they rounded off quickly. I switched to a Hakko FX-600 and I'm going strong on the same tip at least eight months later, so it paid for itself.

Man, I don't have a fume extractor, that might explain the strange growths coming out the side of my head with all the soldering I do.
I do have a ceiling fan over my bench though.....
I'm currently just using a large table-fan to suck it away from where I'm working, but it blows it towards the furnace which then redistributes the lead throughout the house;
also, the room itself still fills up with lead fumes, it's just not as noticeable 'cause the PPM goes way down when you're not huffing it right off the solder iron.

I did buy some ducting and a duct-fan and was going to blow the fumes out the basement window, which I still plan on doing. Should create some interesting flowers and tomatoes next season. Just need to figure out how to cut a hole in the window and have it still close so the pending snows don't come in, hang the ducting tube over the work-bench without it being in the way, rig up a switch and power for the duct-fan, then fab a place to put the filters in line with the fan/duct-work...

Oh sod it. I'm just going to spend more money and get a pre-fabbed standalone fan with cartridge filters. My Solder-Sifu always says, don't waste time building the tools you need to work with when you could be working on the things you need to build (loosely translated). That one DAN M linked to looked good and I bet is far cheaper than a Gen-U-Whine Hakko extractor-fan.

Did I miss something here?
61DBuG8KLDL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg
You just use the bear's stuffing in the filter section of your fume-extractor. Cheaper than the custom-fit charcoal filters made for your extractor. If you're doing a particularly heavy job, you just stuff the whole bear in the hole and guaranteed no fumes shall pass.

Honestly, I've had no problems with some of the cheaper solid core stuff. Not sure if you like solid or stranded wire. Both have their pros and cons. A box of this will get you dozens of builds.

Same here. Fwiw and ymmv and whatever other acronyms there may be … I prefer solid core, but I’ve had no issues with either that I’ve gotten. No magic to it I’ve found.

I'm currently just using a large table-fan to suck it away from where I'm working, but it blows it towards the furnace which then redistributes the lead throughout the house;
also, the room itself still fills up with lead fumes, it's just not as noticeable 'cause the PPM goes way down when you're not huffing it right off the solder iron.

I did buy some ducting and a duct-fan and was going to blow the fumes out the basement window, which I still plan on doing. Should create some interesting flowers and tomatoes next season. Just need to figure out how to cut a hole in the window and have it still close so the pending snows don't come in, hang the ducting tube over the work-bench without it being in the way, rig up a switch and power for the duct-fan, then fab a place to put the filters in line with the fan/duct-work...

Oh sod it. I'm just going to spend more money and get a pre-fabbed standalone fan with cartridge filters. My Solder-Sifu always says, don't waste time building the tools you need to work with when you could be working on the things you need to build (loosely translated). That one DAN M linked to looked good and I bet is far cheaper than a Gen-U-Whine Hakko extractor-fan.

You just use the bear's stuffing in the filter section of your fume-extractor. Cheaper than the custom-fit charcoal filters made for your extractor. If you're doing a particularly heavy job, you just stuff the whole bear in the hole and guaranteed no fumes shall pass.
The lead doesn't make it into the fumes but the rosin fumes aren't good either

I only solder next to an open window with a fan blowing across my workspace towards the window. That's my version of a fume extractor, the only problem being that during the colder months I don't have much time to get things finished before it's too cold and dark for open windows.

Back