Black Russian - Muffin Fuzz

chongmagic

After repairing the Black Russian BMP, looking at building one using the Muffin Fuzz PCB. I think the Russian BMP used transistors similar to the B549C if I can recall, would using the Double G OD version in the build documents get me somewhat there?

After repairing the Black Russian BMP, looking at building one using the Muffin Fuzz PCB. I think the Russian BMP used transistors similar to the B549C if I can recall, would using the Double G OD version in the build documents get me somewhat there?
I would assume the double G is the cornish G2. You can pull the values from this page and transcribe them http://www.bigmuffpage.com/Big_Muff_Pi_versions_schematics_part3.html if you wanted a black russian copy.

Of the values listed on the PPCB build doc, the Green Russian will get you closest. You can easily convert Kit Rae schematics to the Muffin PCB. Start by comparing the Green Russian schematic (the one that the Muffin is based on) with the Black Russian schematic you want. From there you can change what’s different, and so on…

I think the most important aspect of Russian Muffs is the 47n clipping caps. Most other Muffs use 100n or more. By clipping only the highs via the 47n, more clean bass is passed through the feedback filter caps, giving greater note definition for bass freqs. Larger clipping caps allow more bass to be clipped, introducing more harmonics and thus mushing up the bass spectrum. Of course, bassability may not be your priority, but still, I think the characteristic sound of the Russian Muffs is from the small clipping caps paired with larger feedback filter caps. Then the tone stack.

BIG_MUFF_KEY_COMPONENTSsm.jpg

Locrian, I used those same values along with some 2n3904 transistors that measured pretty hot (around 430hfe) and it sounded basically identical to the Wren and Cuff Green Russian I had. I ended up trading the W&C and keeping my DIY build.

Cdwillis- my plan was to replace mine on my board as well. I don’t want to mod it, but would rather have it in a 125b, jacks oreiented correctly, a 9V jack, and true bypass. I also really like the switch for altering the midscoop. Almost feels like 3 pedals in 1. I plan on working my way through kitrae’s page and trying other versions. I have an op amp one I built as my first pedal from a kit, but other than that I haven’t messed around with any others. Had the Black Russian since 2000ish it’s just what I think big muffs sound like ag this point lol.

Back