Circulator

sticky1138

I just built the Circulator and it worked on the first try, but it’s a lot subtler than expected. I am able to get a phase sound and each control does what it should, but I’m surprised by how dry it sounds compared to a good old Phase 90.

The pots don’t respond through the whole range and changes are only perceptible past noon or so. If the Depth is below noon, it will sound almost like the pedal is bypassed. I can only get a rich, swishy phase with the everything cranked pretty high and in Fast mode. Slow mode sounds extra subtle, but I can still hear the effect with the knobs cranked as well. Vibrato mode is weak, and it doesn’t really do much of a pitch shift or Uni-Vibe like I would expect.

I compared this to the EQD demo and does sound similar at the right settings, but I can't tell if it's just how the pedal is supposed to sound, or I messed something up. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the Circulator?

To my ears mine almost sounds like the dry signal is coming through over the top of the wet. Maybe this belongs on the troubleshooting board. I'll have to compare mine again to this video because I could also just be overthinking it.

I just modded mine and feel obligated to give an update. Using some of Chuck's suggestions in this thread, I changed:
  • DEPTH to C20K
  • RATE to C500K
  • RES to C100K
  • SWEEP to C100K
  • C8 to 390 pF
  • R23 and R27 to 33K
  • R34 to 10K
The improvement is significant, even though I did just a few of the easy ones. The reason why I felt the effect was subtle before is because the sweep of the stock pots is not very good. It was hard to find the sweet spots. Now it responds much better and is easier to dial in usable sounds.

I just modded mine and feel obligated to give an update. Using some of Chuck's suggestions in this thread, I changed:
  • DEPTH to C20K
  • RATE to C500K
  • RES to C100K
  • SWEEP to C100K
  • C8 to 390 pF
  • R23 and R27 to 33K
  • R34 to 10K
The improvement is significant, even though I did just a few of the easy ones. The reason why I felt the effect was subtle before is because the sweep of the stock pots is not very good. It was hard to find the sweet spots. Now it responds much better and is easier to dial in usable sounds.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've been looking through these mods and want to give them a shot. I'm just curious why you changed the depth pot from B25K to C20K?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've been looking through these mods and want to give them a shot. I'm just curious why you changed the depth pot from B25K to C20K?
If I recall correctly, only the final 1/3 of the original pot's sweep actually changes the modulation depth. The C20K makes it so the full range of the sweep is usable and you don't have to micro-adjust.

If I recall correctly, only the final 1/3 of the original pot's sweep actually changes the modulation depth. The C20K makes it so the full range of the sweep is usable and you don't have to micro-adjust.
Oh nice, good call. I'm having a hell of a time finding any C20k pots, do you think C25k would do the trick?

No problem! Good luck on the build/mod. I'm more of a plug-and-play guy, but this build is a good option if you like to tinker with settings, and these mods are definitely worth it.

No problem! Good luck on the build/mod. I'm more of a plug-and-play guy, but this build is a good option if you like to tinker with settings, and these mods are definitely worth it.
Yea I generally just go with the build as is but every now and then I'll find some mods that sound like they'd be easy enough for a relative novice like myself. I'm curious to see how they turn out!

Back