DEMO Circulator (EQD Grand Orbiter)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I've built a Jfet phaser (XC Phase), a OpAmp phaser (Phase II & Duo Phase) but not an OTA phaser. Based on how well liked this pedal was on the forum I decided I had to give it a go even though I rarely use a phase.

I know that our resident wizard has some cool mods for this board but I decided to build it stock first and see if I wanted to go down the mod rabbit hole.

Also, I grabbed a bunch of LM13700's from Barry at GuitarPCB when he had them on sale, so this was a good excuse to use them:)

So overall, the Circulator has a bit of a more subdued phasing to it compared to the Phase II and XC. It's got it's own thing going on and sounds pretty good to me in it's stock configuration.

First thing I noticed (after I built the pedal) is that my Range toggle doesn't do anything in the middle position. BOM called for an On-Off-On toggle. But it's quite possible I mistakenly put in an On-On-On. I haven't taken it apart to check yet but I'm actually getting quite a bit of range with the two toggle positions, so I may just leave it.

The second issue I had was that the "PV" toggle (Phase/Vibrato) doesn't do anything. I'm only getting phase in both toggle positions. From the website I saw that it's supposed to be true pitch vibrato. I have a feeling I have a bad toggle switch, it was behaving a bit weird at first, getting a volume jump if I wiggled the bat. I re-flowed the solder pads on it. Now it's not making any weird noises but I still only have phase. Unfortunately it was my last on-on SPST so I'm going to have to wait until I get some more in before troubleshooting that any further. I may just leave it since I don't foresee using it in Vibrato mode, not when I have the awesome VIIB pedal for that sound.

So toggle problems aside it's a pretty cool sounding phase. The build itself went smoothly and although it's a fairly heavy component count board, it's all so logically laid out that I breezed through it pretty quickly.

I recorded a short demo clip comparing it to the Phase II (Mutron) and the XC Phase (MXR Phase 45/90). I decided to leave the DuoPhase out of the shootout because it's really it's own animal. Actually, so is the Phase II, still my favorite phasor, it's got such a rich and complex sound even with the sharp resonant filtering effect dialed low.

Having said that, the Circulator is a cool pedal and definitely worth building! Glad to add it to my ever growing arsenal of analog modulation sounds!

I used the Tayda Light Violet enclosure but it looks more pink to me, but I'm not very trustworthy when it comes to colors, as I've mentioned before I'm a bit color blind. (More than a "bit" according to my wife heh)

IMG_4318.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

Hacking up Danny O'Keefe's classic tune....I kicked on the Bullrush Overdrive a few minutes into the video.

P90s, wraparound... who needs the pedals? Love that guitar!

That Mutron sounds so good but it's so heavy and dominating. I have such a love-hate with it.

Have you tried the Whetstone? The Aion Redshift is my my favourite phaser for usability, it's not as intense as the others (though it can do so), but you can get it almost to the point where you don't notice the phaser is there until you turn it off.

I've built a Jfet phaser (XC Phase), a OpAmp phaser (Phase II & Duo Phase) but not an OTA phaser. Based on how well liked this pedal was on the forum I decided I had to give it a go even though I rarely use a phase.

I know that our resident wizard has some cool mods for this board but I decided to build it stock first and see if I wanted to go down the mod rabbit hole.

Also, I grabbed a bunch of LM13700's from Barry at GuitarPCB when he had them on sale, so this was a good excuse to use them:)

So overall, the Circulator has a bit of a more subdued phasing to it compared to the Phase II and XC. It's got it's own thing going on and sounds pretty good to me in it's stock configuration.

First thing I noticed (after I built the pedal) is that my Range toggle doesn't do anything in the middle position. BOM called for an On-Off-On toggle. But it's quite possible I mistakenly put in an On-On-On. I haven't taken it apart to check yet but I'm actually getting quite a bit of range with the two toggle positions, so I may just leave it.

The second issue I had was that the "PV" toggle (Phase/Vibrato) doesn't do anything. I'm only getting phase in both toggle positions. From the website I saw that it's supposed to be true pitch vibrato. I have a feeling I have a bad toggle switch, it was behaving a bit weird at first, getting a volume jump if I wiggled the bat. I re-flowed the solder pads on it. Now it's not making any weird noises but I still only have phase. Unfortunately it was my last on-on SPST so I'm going to have to wait until I get some more in before troubleshooting that any further. I may just leave it since I don't foresee using it in Vibrato mode, not when I have the awesome VIIB pedal for that sound.

So toggle problems aside it's a pretty cool sounding phase. The build itself went smoothly and although it's a fairly heavy component count board, it's all so logically laid out that I breezed through it pretty quickly.

I recorded a short demo clip comparing it to the Phase II (Mutron) and the XC Phase (MXR Phase 45/90). I decided to leave the DuoPhase out of the shootout because it's really it's own animal. Actually, so is the Phase II, still my favorite phasor, it's got such a rich and complex sound even with the sharp resonant filtering effect dialed low.

Having said that, the Circulator is a cool pedal and definitely worth building! Glad to add it to my ever growing arsenal of analog modulation sounds!

I used the Tayda Light Violet enclosure but it looks more pink to me, but I'm not very trustworthy when it comes to colors, as I've mentioned before I'm a bit color blind. (More than a "bit" according to my wife heh)

View attachment 42962

View attachment 42963

Hacking up Danny O'Keefe's classic tune....I kicked on the Bullrush Overdrive a few minutes into the video.

dude! i am definitely doing the grand orbiter next. sounds excellent 🤤

and on another note, i am so glad you did this demo video to showcase the differences between these phasers.
reason being - i can hear that your phaser ii (mutron phasor ii) - sounds and behaves pretty much exactly the same way mine does - and i’ve been convinced this whole time there’s something wrong with my build…
(my perception is that the "downward" phasing moves at a much shorter/quicker duration than the "upward" phase)
eg.
3C574AF2-94CA-4046-BDE9-4DB61720501D.png
idk. maybe different LDRs get different results…
tried to open a discussion about this on my thread, and got zero traction on the matter 😞

(apologies for the side-track, i would’ve preferred to mention this on your phase ii post instead - but there’s no demo on there, so i guess this post is it)

anyway, thanks for the great demo and report!

dude! i am definitely doing the grand orbiter next. sounds excellent 🤤

and on another note, i am so glad you did this demo video to showcase the differences between these phasers.
reason being - i can hear that your phaser ii (mutron phasor ii) - sounds and behaves pretty much exactly the same way mine does - and i’ve been convinced this whole time there’s something wrong with my build…
(my perception is that the "downward" phasing moves at a much shorter/quicker duration than the "upward" phase)
eg.
View attachment 42989
idk. maybe different LDRs get different results…
tried to open a discussion about this on my thread, and got zero traction on the matter 😞

(apologies for the side-track, i would’ve preferred to mention this on your phase ii post instead - but there’s no demo on there, so i guess this post is it)

anyway, thanks for the great demo and report!
Yah the Mutron has an asymmetrical kinda phasing, part of what makes it sound interesting to me.

A lovely demo on a Monday morning. BUT, you didn't turn all three phasers on together, for some super wobbly fun. Oh well, I'll have to build an XC to compare to the Circulator, and Phase II. I'll figure out how to record a demo and I'll stack them for some nonsensical craziness.
Great build report. Thanks for sharing.

Wow. Good tune to demonstrate that he pedals. Nice job. Keep doing the comparisons. I like it.
I heard it on the radio the other day, guess why it was on my mind. Love that tune. I probably should have worked up a better arrangement for the demo heh.

Really nice, the build, the demo.
Very relaxing tune you got there and ever since getting my little Coronet I'm totally in love with P90s and I finally understand overdrive.
Thanks.

Just finished my circulator, and I’m on here looking for clues on why my range toggle gives no modulation in the middle position. That question is answered thanks @Betty Wont !

Maybe I can help with the vibrato question though - if I toggle to the vibrato side and turn the depth all the way down I get vibrato. There’s a volume drop, but maxing the resonance brings it back up to unity.

I watched some Grand Orbiter demos before I ordered the board for this one, and I think I remember something about some weird setting combinations, so maybe that’s the intended function?

Thanks @Betty Won't that would explain why it doesn't do anything hahaha. I guess it's working properly, I just need to troubleshoot my PV toggle and see why I'm not getting any vibe.
id be curious to see how it ended up i had this for a over a year and finally boxed it up. im having the same issue. no vibe. just phase in both. and in one position the RES works like a volume control

There are some knob settings that need to be right for it to vibe.

I think it was depth all the way up, resonance all the way down, with the toggle in vibe mode.

I didn’t love the vibe setting on this pedal. I build a Caesar chorus around the same time, and that has a vibe setting that I like much more. I do like the circulator as a phaser though. I also build a XC phase, and a Duophase, and the Circulator is my favorite phaser of the three.

There are some knob settings that need to be right for it to vibe.

I think it was depth all the way up, resonance all the way down, with the toggle in vibe mode.

I didn’t love the vibe setting on this pedal. I build a Caesar chorus around the same time, and that has a vibe setting that I like much more. I do like the circulator as a phaser though. I also build a XC phase, and a Duophase, and the Circulator is my favorite phaser of the three.
im still playing with all the settings. sure sounds like 2 phasers in the select switch. but i kinda like it. very subtle phase. boxed it in a large box with a quantum Mystic. sorta my YOB box

Back