Digital Corksniffery (Warning: Controversial)

Robert

Reverse Engineer
I have some effects algorithms that I'd really like to make a reality but they would benefit tremendously from no true-bypass, and/or no analog dry signal path....

These are not transparent overdrives, subtle compressors, or gentle EQs....

Deal breaker?

I'd wager they'd be pretty popular projects.

Be nice to see the tech used to make conventional-style stompbox effects, too, but there's plenty of territory to cover. Besides, I think the gang here is sophisticated enough to distinguish a good buffer design.

Really excited to see what you've got cooking!

First up is a footswitch activated through-zero flanger.

Catalinbread has the Zero-Point, and it's cool and all, but there are a couple features missing (in my opinion) as well as one quirk I couldn't live with.

1) We need adjustable Rise / Fall rate, the Zero-Point has no controls

2) The Zero-Point has an active/bypass footswitch, but as soon as you make the pedal active your signal is run through a stationary flanger... I do not want this. In my opinion the signal should be clean and uneffected until you hit the "Flange" footswitch. Once you release the footswitch the sweep should fall and return to 100% clean uneffected signal.

The negative effects of the stationary flanger always being active far outweighs a buffered (or even digital) bypass signal... at least in my opinion.

If you hate the idea you could always run it in a switchable loop.

Not a deal breaker. People have an array of other options if they don't want this, or there is always true bypass loop pedals...

As someone who has the strymon deco, I give a hearty hell yes to a through zero flanger. I love the fact that it uses the relay being held down to activate the through zero mode

In my judgemental point of view, anybody who is cork-sniffy enough to dismiss a rad pedal just because it's not true bypass is probably not in the market for "cold, lifeless digital mumbo-jumbo" anyway. Do your thing. Those of us who want to build it will do so; those who don't, won't. And the civilians who are so inclined can continue to buy gooped Tube Screamer clones in ignorant bliss. Everybody wins.

The good thing is that most of the upcoming projects won't have an issue with true-bypass.... and technically you could still wire up a 3PDT footswitch if you wanted.

Initially most projects won't change from the current IN/GND/SW/OUT configuration.

Over time some will incorporate the "Intelligent Bypass" functionality on-board.

This thread is more focusing on a buffered bypass / digital pass-through type of configuration, just because it accommodates a select few "specialized" effects better than any other method. These will typically be momentary effects where you just need to hit the footswitch for a quick spot effect. (manual through-zero flange, dive bomb, sustainer, etc etc)...

Nothing is set in stone yet though, there are other ways to achieve the same goal but ideally I'd like them to be instantly activated rather than a tap dance between two footswitches.

The swiss army flanger will be true-bypass.

True bypass might be overrated, but I'm geared up to have 6 digital 125B pedals on my board, and would be concerned about having the signal go through that many pairs of ADC/DAC.

One momentary effect in the chain for something like a Freeze I wouldn't question.

Eventually, when you make us a Strymon sized programmable pedal based on the Daisy, I won't complain about that not being true-bypass. With 6 pots available, I'd also be fine with dropping the Analog blend like you've done with the FV-1 circuits too.

True bypass might be overrated, but I'm geared up to have 6 digital 125B pedals on my board, and would be concerned about having the signal go through that many pairs of ADC/DAC.

True-bypass will be the standard, this is just for a select few effects.

Back