SOLVED Duo phase LFO ticking

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
So ive been reading that this a problem with the Duo phase. Some people have fixed the issue by moving the input wires away from the LFOs. No matter what i do the tick is still there. The trimpots do not dial out the tick either. Not sure if this is just how this is supposed to be if so its pretty much unusable. That tick only gets worse when the rate is turned up. Is there any type of shielding maybe that can done? Never had a problem like this.

So ive been reading that this a problem with the Duo phase. Some people have fixed the issue by moving the input wires away from the LFOs. No matter what i do the tick is still there. The trimpots do not dial out the tick either. Not sure if this is just how this is supposed to be if so its pretty much unusable. That tick only gets worse when the rate is turned up. Is there any type of shielding maybe that can done? Never had a problem like this.
Do you have any TL022s on hand? That's what I've used for the LFOs (IC6.A & .B) in mine (including the recent Phase II report) and have not had the ticking issue

So that didnt kill it. So far only the buffer in front of it does the trick. How would you go about wiring the buffer board? Would you put it in between the first input and outputs?

So that didnt kill it. So far only the buffer in front of it does the trick. How would you go about wiring the buffer board? Would you put it in between the first input and outputs?
Yeah, I'd tack it right on to the primary input. Assuming you're using the lil JFet buffer from the shop

What's you're wiring look like?

Are you using 1044s with the SCPA suffix?

Yeah, I'd tack it right on to the primary input. Assuming you're using the lil JFet buffer from the shop

What's you're wiring look like?

Are you using 1044s with the SCPA suffix?
So primary input only right? Input on buffer board and output on buffer board will be tacked onto the tip on primary input?

I've started using the cornish buffer (pedalpcb c-buffer) on the phase II and duophase with excellent results. And short wire runs from side mount jacks. I'd move that input wire away from the LFO and run it under/over the middle of the pcb.
That's what i was thinking as well just move the input wire. I fear just moving it isnt enough. Im thinking if my brother drops it and the wire shifts or something the problem will persist. So i wanted to add the buffer just to be sure.

I've started using the cornish buffer (pedalpcb c-buffer) on the phase II and duophase with excellent results. And short wire runs from side mount jacks. I'd move that input wire away from the LFO and run it under/over the middle of the pcb.
Thinking about it, the C Buffer does add some sparkle to the high end, which phasers love. Might have to try this on my next one

Thinking about it, the C Buffer does add some sparkle to the high end, which phasers love. Might have to try this on my next one
My goal was eliminating all traces of tick and switch pop for higher gain applications, but I do believe the buffer is making the phaser sound better too.

My goal was eliminating all traces of tick and switch pop for higher gain applications, but I do believe the buffer is making the phaser sound better too.
It's weird seeing all the reports of ticking. I've built a bunch of these, and a few other circuits that have reported ticking or whining, but I've had maybe three total with that issue, and when I demo, I typically just plug straight into the pedal. I also use the shittiest EHX international power supply with the interchangeable plugs for most of my demos, which is noisy as heck.

Of the recent stream of demos I did, you can only really hear it in the Nobleman rundown when the gain's turned up

It's been a while since I built the C buffer, which I didn't like at the time because I was already using single coils, and wasn't a fan of the top-end it added. But, I'm almost all humbuckers now, so might be good to make the Alumitones even more piercing

The buffer didnt work. Either that or i installed it wrong.

I tried both ways on the input and output of the buffer board. Nothing. Still the issue persists.

Last edited:
So i realized that the ticking would go when the rate knob was touched....

So all i did was add a washer and nut to that pot and tightened it. That fixed the issue....IDK what the heck is going on. But now with the buffer added it doesnt tick anymore.

Back