Enlightenment

Mike McLane

I want to set up a remote footswitch via an 1/8" plug, just like an old school reverb foot switch found on an old Fender amp. I want an LED indicator to light on the remote, but don't want to have to run power all the way out to it if there is an easier solution by using a small battery in the remote enclosure. Maybe a coin cell battery like the CR2032 used in tuners? Anybody got any suggestions?

Either a coin cell or a 9v with a drop down resistor. I made a triple footswitch for my amp, reverb, trem, and raw (which takes the tonestack out of the circuit, very brown sound). Each has its own led.

The coin batteries are typically 3v. Any guess as to what type of current limiting resistor I need for a reasonably bright illumination?

would a coin cell even need a CLR? It was my understanding that coin cell batteries typically have an incredibly high internal resistance relative to most other battery types– like enough to bog it down to having maximum current capabilities in the upper single-digit milliamp range.
For example, I don't have data sheets to refer to at the moment (in class, I'll look later), but I thought the CR20XX series caps out at around 7mA.

would a coin cell even need a CLR? It was my understanding that coin cell batteries typically have an incredibly high internal resistance relative to most other battery types– like enough to bog it down to having maximum current capabilities in the upper single-digit milliamp range.
For example, I don't have data sheets to refer to at the moment (in class, I'll look later), but I thought the CR20XX series caps out at around 7mA.
There’s a prank where you glue together a coin cell, magnet, and LED and then throw them up onto anything magnetic. Reportedly they last a long time!

I use coin batteries to test LEDs work before I solder. I'm interested to hear if anyone does think they should have a CLR; I bet the CLR comment was meant if they choose to use a 9V.

I've read about the need to a CLR due to the nature of batteries, but I would like to settle the question in a clear way.

It isn't needed, but you can dim the output a bit. I also use them for testing LEDs with no resistor.

Back