Face Melter IC

sergio

Hi!

The integrated circuit of Face Melter is CA3240EZ but I only found a CA3240 IC.
Will it work with this?

Thanks!

If you read the invoice or the device, it will give you the full part number. I'm sure the CA3240xx you got from Mouser will work fine.

Would the 3240AEZ be a suitable alternative to the 3240EZ?

I'm looking at the spec sheet and it seems they're similar enough but there are a few differences and I'm not sure if that will matter.

I've got a Melter PCB on the way, but no CA3240. Wondering if anyone tried it with a TL072, or a good ole 4558? What other chips might sound good in this? Seems like CA3240 is uniquely a "bimos" chip, but I don't know if that is important to this circuit.

I'm probably going to try TL072--if it doesn't work out then I can try to source a CA3240.

Last edited:
I've got a Melter PCB on the way, but no CA3240. Wondering if anyone tried it with a TL072, or a good ole 4558? What other chips might sound good in this? Seems like CA3240 is uniquely a "bimos" chip, but I don't know if that is important to this circuit.

I'm probably going to try TL072--if it doesn't work out then I can try to source a CA3240.
Hey mate, how did the the TL072 sound? I'm trying to source the CA3240EZ and it seems out of stock everywhere!

Hey mate, how did the the TL072 sound? I'm trying to source the CA3240EZ and it seems out of stock everywhere!
I haven't even got around to building it yet. In the meantime I picked up a CA3240 from smallbear before they ran out of stock.

I have not built one of these, but just from studying the circuit I can tell that the distortion comes from the LEDs and the MOSFET. I expect any decent FET input dual opamp will work. If you install a socket, then you can try different dual opamps.

I’ve etched a board, but haven’t built it yet. I’m curious about the opamp, too. I’ve read different things; any dual will work all the way to you have to use THE one.

Back
Top Bottom