Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom (PPCB Death Cap)...

Coda

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This was the quickest build so far for me. I started it around 1pm, and was boxed and rockin' out by 3. This is the PPCB Death Cap, which is the Doom Bloom, by Fuzzhugger. It's a fuzz, and I knew that going in. Other than that I was blind; I purposefully did not look up any demos. The name caught my eye, and I bought it. In fact, I've only ever heard this circuit once...the one I just built.

This was a super easy build...even with 6 pots! Enclosure is a Tayda predrill (PPCB Type II...or III, jenny say pah), black sand paint thingy. It's nice. I did have to scrub the paint away from around the inside of the holes. The knobs I bought for this didn't fit (damn you, metric system!), so I threw what I had on it. Since it was only black and red knobs, I went with that theme. Simple labeled controls. Any questions?...

This pedal sounds like an American Fuzz pedal; think stuff like the Bosstone, or the Japanese stuff, compared to the UK-style fuzzes. Its velcroy and buzzy...like an FY-2 and a Fuzzrite and a Bosstone had some freaky 3-way Halloween baby. The controls are subtle...or rather, were when the fuzz is dimed (as it should be). However, with the fuzz about 2/3's on, the controls can dial in a ton of different tones. This pedal is surprisingly versatile. You can dial in thick buzzy fuzz, or raw raspy fuzz pretty easily. It has a very decent amount of sustain, yet is adorably gated at the same time (Note: the over-the-top adjectives are a fun reward for you for reading this far. You're welcome). You can also dial in a fuzzy OD thing...like Neil Young.

I would recommend this fuzz to any and all.

Attachments

• F52A2EBD-1A2B-4F3B-9751-96F6641AF5AB.jpeg
    F52A2EBD-1A2B-4F3B-9751-96F6641AF5AB.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 94B6AEAF-98F4-4997-8A97-BE9ED96CF5B8.jpeg
    94B6AEAF-98F4-4997-8A97-BE9ED96CF5B8.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 50
Damnit. Now I have to buy this thing.
I can't make mine sound as good as @Coda but I can vouch that it is well worth the effort/cost of parts.

It is excellent. It really is. And it cleans up too…not clean clean, but changes the timbre of the fuzz quite a bit. The rhythm track from my demo was the bridge pickup of an LP with the volume at about 4…

This was the quickest build so far for me. I started it around 1pm, and was boxed and rockin' out by 3. This is the PPCB Death Cap, which is the Doom Bloom, by Fuzzhugger. It's a fuzz, and I knew that going in. Other than that I was blind; I purposefully did not look up any demos. The name caught my eye, and I bought it. In fact, I've only ever heard this circuit once...the one I just built.

This was a super easy build...even with 6 pots! Enclosure is a Tayda predrill (PPCB Type II...or III, jenny say pah), black sand paint thingy. It's nice. I did have to scrub the paint away from around the inside of the holes. The knobs I bought for this didn't fit (damn you, metric system!), so I threw what I had on it. Since it was only black and red knobs, I went with that theme. Simple labeled controls. Any questions?...

This pedal sounds like an American Fuzz pedal; think stuff like the Bosstone, or the Japanese stuff, compared to the UK-style fuzzes. Its velcroy and buzzy...like an FY-2 and a Fuzzrite and a Bosstone had some freaky 3-way Halloween baby. The controls are subtle...or rather, were when the fuzz is dimed (as it should be). However, with the fuzz about 2/3's on, the controls can dial in a ton of different tones. This pedal is surprisingly versatile. You can dial in thick buzzy fuzz, or raw raspy fuzz pretty easily. It has a very decent amount of sustain, yet is adorably gated at the same time (Note: the over-the-top adjectives are a fun reward for you for reading this far. You're welcome). You can also dial in a fuzzy OD thing...like Neil Young.

I would recommend this fuzz to any and all.
Hey, nice build!
I was wondering if it sounds like the store version ?

Back