Hammerite paint

Johnnyorange500

Hi,
I’ve bought some gold hammerite paint for an enclosure. I’ve sprayed the inside which had turned out great. However, the outside of the enclosure has turned out not so good. It’s not developing the hammerite finish. Maybe I’ve sprayed on too much. And then tried to compensate by spraying on even more. Anyways, can this be redeemed? Any techniques or will I have to start all over again?

Cheers

Johnny

Hi,
I’ve bought some gold hammerite paint for an enclosure. I’ve sprayed the inside which had turned out great. However, the outside of the enclosure has turned out not so good. It’s not developing the hammerite finish. Maybe I’ve sprayed on too much. And then tried to compensate by spraying on even more. Anyways, can this be redeemed? Any techniques or will I have to start all over again?

Cheers

Johnny
Curious as to why you sprayed the inside? Maybe post a picture.

Hammertone spray paint is super finicky. Heavy coats tend to get a more dramatic hammered effect, but it’s tough regardless.
Not necessarily any specific steps for better results, but just trial and error. It’s a pretty random process
Yeah, it’s not awful. But yeah, it’s being very awkward. It’s just not very uniform in finish..

I always use a test piece before doing something new on a work piece. Did you read the instructions on the can? Spray paints are tricky. Spray distance, coating, relative humidity, and temperature all make a difference. Only you can figure out what's going to work best in your situation
Hi Harry. Yeah, think it’s trail and error.. Ive found spray paint to be very tricky as I’ve used them for fuzz face builds. Its not bad.. it’s just not full on with the hammer effect..think I’ve decided to go with it. And make it what it is. Probably will try and match the inside and add more layers. Sometimes you’ve just got with it and see what comes of it. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I still don’t get why the inside is getting painted?
There’s plenty of pedals out there with the inside of the enclosure painted. It’s not a new thing! Some Fuzz faces and Tonebender have the inside painted. Yep, it’s a steel enclosure so helps it not rust. Plus It’s just a nice aesthetic touch when you look inside the guts of the pedal. I think it can look a bit unfinished if it’s not done too.

Last edited:
Ive persevered with it and it’s not turned out too bad after all. Managed to get a nice hammered effect on the outside too. Thank god! Jeez it ain’t half stressful this pedal building lark! 🤣 thanks for the help and responses much appreciated.

Back