SOLVED Kliche Troubleshooting.. Where to start?

swelchy

Had a Kliche build I sold off reverb and it's been out in the wild working for almost a year and the guy let me know it stopped worked... got in back and sure enough it's totally dead. When I give it power and poke my multimeter right at the power in + and ground I get no voltage reading.... I continuity checked the 1N4742 and i'm getting a beep there so the diode isn't shot.. if power is stopping right at the top where do I go first?

Bad solder joint on the dc jack?
Tested at jack first…. Then pulled out of enclosure… tested just wires without jack.. still the same… pulled the + and negative wire and replaced the wires with new long leads for testing … still no power with new leads right at the + and - at the top of the pcb

Will post pictures when I get home…. You’ll just be seeing a pcb out of the enclosure.. intitially I checked the Dc jack and got no reading… so I pulled from enclosure… attached it to my auditorium… still no power reading to the pcb… unsoldered the short wires from when I had it in enclosure… soldered in new long wires… hooked it back up to power… nothing…

Sorry if I missed this in reading, have you tried a new dc jack? I didn’t see that you ever had power at the board or at the pins in the jack? Is that right? Maybe some small piece of metal got lodged in the jack itself and is shorting it out.
Initially was testing power at the Dc jack when I first got the pedal from the shipping box…. Wasn’t getting a reading…. So I took pedal out of enclosure… thus ommitting the jack… connected power to those wires… no power at the + or -

Poking around doing a continuity test I get a beep from + and both ends of the 1N4742 if I hit the stomp switch…. No idea where to go after that

also.... reiterating this pedal was sold almost a year ago and was working fine setup on a rack setup with other pedals on a pullout drawer... guy using it is a pro musician that gigs

Did you take out the magical diodes? Hard to see from the image but they look missing. Not that that is your issue. Did you test to see if the power wire is getting signal through it. I one time found a piece of wire that had a dead spot in the middle of the run.

If there was a short to ground does that mean you would you get continuity between the + and - pads?

Like @delayed said- checking your wires could be a good step.

Swapping to known good ICs could be another quick and dirty unscientific step.

looking for someone specifically tell me which point to test at this point.......
Did you take out the magical diodes? Hard to see from the image but they look missing. Not that that is your issue. Did you test to see if the power wire is getting signal through it. I one time found a piece of wire that had a dead spot in the middle of the run.
yes.. magical diodes were moved to another pcb I built out for the guy and sent his pedal back to him... just trying to figure out why this pcb all of a sudden died...

Ok so if I’m understanding correctly you have no power with the wires connected directly to power at the +\- pads on the board. I’d remove the 4742 and the 1044. Check if you have power then at the +. (Only reason I’d remove the 1044 is just to protect it). Sounds to me like he using the wrong polarity ps and fried the diode.

Ok so if I’m understanding correctly you have no power with the wires connected directly to power at the +\- pads on the board. I’d remove the 4742 and the 1044. Check if you have power then at the +. (Only reason I’d remove the 1044 is just to protect it). Sounds to me like he using the wrong polarity ps and fried the diode.
Read previous comments..before telling someone to pull components off board.
Previously stated I have continuity from the + at top of pcb and both ends of the 1N4742 diode.
several other points In getting a beep as well… getting continuity between + and one pin of each of the clipping diodes as well…

Please do not comment unless you look at the schematic and give me advice on what component to measure… Thanks

Back