Lab Rat build!

To each their own.

It's beautiful, I get it...
...but I'd never do it.
(I'd never be ABLE to do it, too much frustration would ensue when it was NOT perfect).

agreed. it looks great but i dont have time or patience for that. the front of the pedal that guy built was made to look like the dashboard of a classic car with keystart ignition on it. so that wiring kind of makes sense in context of the overall build going for classic car aesthetics.

agreed. it looks great but i dont have time or patience for that. the front of the pedal that guy built was made to look like the dashboard of a classic car with keystart ignition on it. so that wiring kind of makes sense in context of the overall build going for classic car aesthetics.
You should see the wiring in my classic car (and a bunch of friends)... mind, all our dashes do look great!

Please post the dash of this pedal.

Reactions: fig
I appreciate the artistry that goes into organized wiring like that, but I very much prefer spending extra time in the PCB design phase to make designs easily manufacturable so you can get a moderately clean build without spending a ton of time on it.

Spend the extra time once so you don't have to spend extra time every time you build one.

Thanks Doc, I did try the Madbean forum before but then as now I am getting a bunch of the stereo shots, but scrolling further down I get:

"Sorry This image is currently unavailable"

Oh well.

I’ve got my lab rat board populated. Just waiting for the clear coat on the enclosure to cure for another day before I box it up. In the mean time I’m going to try out all these different ICs on my normal rat to see which one I prefer before installing in the lab rat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 7
I have the Lab Rat board assembled but not working. I am slowly troubleshooting it. The board appears to power up for about 6 seconds but passes no audio, and the the LED by the tube socket starts flashing about once a second. Parts look correct and properly oriented. I will post some pics in a day or so if I don't get this sorted out.

I have the Lab Rat board assembled but not working. I am slowly troubleshooting it. The board appears to power up for about 6 seconds but passes no audio, and the the LED by the tube socket starts flashing about once a second. Parts look correct and properly oriented. I will post some pics in a day or so if I don't get this sorted out.
Flashing led makes me think diode issue. Perhaps one of the circuit diodes is reversed or they are swapped in location.

LED flashing once a second usually means your power supply (whatever the pedal is plugged into) is not happy. The most common cause is that the power supply can't deliver enough current for the tube to warm up properly.

What kind of power supply are you using?

It is a 9v supply I use when testing builds. It powers all of my other sushibox pedals without issue. I was curious though and checked with a different power supply and had the same result.

Another thing to note is that the mosfet gets hot when the led starts flashing. The two diodes are placed and oriented correctly, but I am thinking that the 4007 may be bad. Have not checked it yet but plan to.

It is a 9v supply I use when testing builds. It powers all of my other sushibox pedals without issue. I was curious though and checked with a different power supply and had the same result.

Another thing to note is that the mosfet gets hot when the led starts flashing. The two diodes are placed and oriented correctly, but I am thinking that the 4007 may be bad. Have not checked it yet but plan to.
If you know the power supply is good on other pedals but isn't working on this one, that means there is a problem somewhere on the board. A common one is forgetting to install the NE555 (guess how many times I've done that) that will cause the MOSFET to heat up and will basically behave as a short on the power supply. So if you haven't installed the NE555 do that and try it, if it is installed make sure it's all the way in seating correctly and that it's facing the right way.

Aside from that certainly look at other components to see if anything looks off, and definitely check for solder bridges, an unintentional short anywhere in the power supply can certainly cause that behavior.

Back