Looking for a non-fuzz octave pedal

zipfool

I'm working on a pedal for a friend, and he wants an octave up effect. He's not into the Squidward or anything else that's like a fuzz. He loves the Ocelot tone, but wants an octave up (not down).

Anyone have a recommendation?

You won't get a clean octave up from any of the analog circuits.
The best bet would be an FV-1 project (Pythagoras or Arachnid PCB with a pitch shift algorithm).

It won't be as pristine as a Whammy or Ricochet, but it can do an octave up and/or down simultaneously.

It will, however, be polyphonic so you can play more than just single note lines.

Awesome. I haven't tried anything with FV1 yet so this will be fun. Although I notice the pre-soldered chips are almost always out of stock. Any signs of that changing sometime soon?

Hard to get an octave effect with the FV-1 without a little lag. Has anyone tried an octave-up using the Daisy platform? Seems like that might be able to do it closer to real time.

I'm in the middle of building the defx comfy plum which is a Way Huge Purple Platypus clone. Supposed to be an octave up overdrive. Might be the compromise they and I are looking for. I can't give an actual recommendation but that's why I'm building it. I'm looking for something cleaner than the squidward and use an ehx digital octave up already.

The arachnid rules, definitely nab one when the presoldered fv1 option comes back. Zgrav is right about the lag so I wouldn't expect the pitch shift to compete with a pog or whammy but everything else it can do is great. I highly recommend customizing your selection of algorithms too. I use the unison and kaleidoscope the most. Glimmer verb with the clock mod cranked is also petty interesting.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check it out. Though the reviewers are saying the octave up is like a green ringer, which is what my friend didn't like the sound of.
I built it, I thought it sounded like the OC2. I don’t have one to compare it, but I do have the OC3, fwiw

Back