Odd One Out

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
Uno, the first. The OD-1. Part of the stoplight series, it was one of the first 3 pedals released in the Boss compact pedal line. It's also the first in a long line of compact boss overdrives and the first afaik that used diodes in the opamp feedback loop and use the patented asymmetrical configuration.

The OD-1 had two variations, the first uses a quad opamp and is the most desirable, and the second uses a dual opamp. This is based on the former. A simple circuit that does not have a tone control and offers a more balanced tone. The sound is like a slightly more lo-fi SD-1 sound as @MichaelW describes it. It's a nice warm sounding pedal with the trademark mid focused sound.

The board offers toggle switches for more tone shaping options but I opted to jumper them for the stock sound. I used a yellow tayda enclosure with UV print. Everyone's favorite Canadian mutant Logan for the simple graphics and knod to the original aesthetic. I currently have an oddity board en route from @Robert so when I build that I will do comparison between the two as the oddity is the dual opamp version of the circuit. I recommend this as a good alternative to the average yats.
ku9dU6e.jpg
X0yFIw2.jpg
gCoAT3u.jpeg

Last edited:
Bonus points for eliminating useless external switches. 😤 This is tight. That wiring is so crisp
Thanks dude, I'm all about not using useless switches. Not all mods are created equal.

The question is, why aren't more people doing it?😂
Very awesome graphic man! I really hope to get 1/10 as good as you are at that!
Thanks, but I'm not doing anything special, not like the people in the UV printing thread or art board thread. I think most of the time less is more and the whole enclosure doesn't need to be covered.

Uno, the first. The OD-1. Part of the stoplight series, it was one of the first 3 pedals released in the Boss compact pedal line. It's also the first in a long line of compact boss overdrives and the first afaik that used diodes in the opamp feedback loop and use the patented asymmetrical configuration.

The OD-1 had two variations, the first uses a quad opamp and is the most desirable, and the second uses a dual opamp. This is based on the former. A simple circuit that does not have a tone control and offers a more balanced tone. The sound is like a slightly more lo-fi SD-1 sound as @MichaelW describes it. It's a nice warm sounding pedal with the trademark mid focused sound.

The board offers toggle switches for more tone shaping options but I opted to jumper them for the stock sound. I used a yellow tayda enclosure with UV print. Everyone's favorite Canadian mutant Logan for the simple graphics and knod to the original aesthetic. I currently have an oddity board en route from @Robert so when I build that I will do comparison between the two as the oddity is the dual opamp version of the circuit. I recommend this as a good alternative to the average yats.
ku9dU6e.jpg
X0yFIw2.jpg
gCoAT3u.jpeg

I’m troubleshooting a couple of these - did you use 2.2 uF or 10 uF at C7 (Electro to left of “bottom” switch)? I think there’s a typo either on the silkscreen or the build doc.

I went off script and built it to to vintage boss spec and used a 1uf there
Many thanks. I think that tells me what I need to know. Silkscreen says C7 is 10uF. I checked build docs after putting everything together (when in doubt lol…) and interestingly both the parts list and schematic list 2.2 uF for C7. Going to try that 2.2u and see if it solves the issue I’m having with this build.

Sorry to hijack your build report thread btw.

Many thanks. I think that tells me what I need to know. Silkscreen says C7 is 10uF. I checked build docs after putting everything together (when in doubt lol…) and interestingly both the parts list and schematic list 2.2 uF for C7. Going to try that 2.2u and see if it solves the issue I’m having with this build.

Sorry to hijack your build report thread btw.
It's all good hope you get it sorted out

Back