DEMO PedalPCB Oddity

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
My weekly build report, the one time a week I post anything that could be considered remotely close to constructive and worthwhile. This week I'm sharing my oddity build. The Oddity is a clone of the Boss OD-1. But Chris, didn't you already build on OD-1? I did, I built the odd one out which is the first issue version of the OD-1 which used a quad opamp and the input/output buffers are opamp based. The oddity is based on the second version of the OD-1 which uses a dual opamp and transistor based buffers. The OD-1 was bosses first compact overdrive pedal and one of the architects of the the tube screamer and SD-1.

Rumor has it the change in design of the OD-1 circuit was do to boss engineers claiming that the American made quad opamps used in the pedal were inconsistent. I would bet that the change came about when the 4558 was widely available and Japanese manufacturing meant that it was cheaper to use and thus higher profit margins could be had. The changes in the circuit make for a definitive audio difference. Many people seem to prefer the quad opamp version and analogman would have you believe that the second iteration is hot trash. So what are the differences?

The quad opamp version is voiced a little deeper, has less compression and more grit, more balanced sounding and slightly less gain and volume. The dual opamp has a brighter more cutting tone, slightly more volume and tighter aggressive gain. To me, the first version is slightly more lofi sounding and the dual opamp version is more refined and in line with the modern overdrives that followed it. I can use words all I want so I put them head to head in a video so you can hear the difference. The pedals are set with the gain each at 9 o'clock and the volume set to be as close as possible. I used my looper so I can keep it consistent and switch between pedals with both hands. Different yet very close and either version you go with can be set up similar and i would be happy to use either version.

The build was simple, low parts count which means with only 2 knobs and minimal components everything part had an impact on the overall sound. Typical of all @Robert builds, fast and painless with no hiccups and a clean layout. Blue tayda enclosure with UV print and for graphics went the the GOAT Stephen Strange. I highly recommend this build as it is a solid overdrive and the sound is greater than the sum of its parts. The cost to reward ratio is outstanding for the project.
Aa6rhpX.jpg
EelmgCI.jpg
y2CtIB1.jpeg

Last edited:
The OG. Outstanding build. I built one a while back using the quad. I compared it to my Fulltender (eq toggles flat) which uses a dual. Up close, isolated and loud, yeah there’s a difference but it’s not better or worse either way, and it is VERY close.

Anyway, killer build. Nice choice.
Thank you. It almost seems counter intuitive to have no tone shaping on an overdrive but it's voiced so well. I don't think you can go wrong with either version of the circuit.
@Guardians of the analog

You know how I feel about those Dr. Strange graphics, but both look and sound great.
Thanks Derek
mr-doctor-its-strange.gif

What can I say, your demo song choices always seem to take me back to the some of simpler times in my life with impressive accuracy. Above and beyond my nostalgic flashback, your build reports have kind of set a “gold standard “ (at least in my eyes for what it’s worth) and this one really nails every aspect with precision.

Solid. But which one is the one you love?
I guess that would depend on the context I was using it in. To push another drive, the oddity. As a standalone overdrive, the odd one out.
What can I say, your demo song choices always seem to take me back to the some of simpler times in my life with impressive accuracy. Above and beyond my nostalgic flashback, your build reports have kind of set a “gold standard “ (at least in my eyes for what it’s worth) and this one really nails every aspect with precision.
Thanks Rob🥰
I love that you used the old school Dr. Strange!

Great build, something about the spacing between those resistors 👌
Thank Stevie, the image really spoke to me with how fluid it looked. Had to go old skool

Tasty tasty graphic. I've done the byoc bass overdrive and it's supposed to be based off the od1. While I don't love the blend function on that pedal the dirt it serves up is pretty nice.
I didn't realize the BYOC bass drive was based on that. Then again, I haven't thought of BYOC in years 🥶 when was the last time they had anything in stock?

I didn't realize the BYOC bass drive was based on that. Then again, I haven't thought of BYOC in years 🥶 when was the last time they had anything in stock?
I checked last week, they even had amp kits back in stock:oops: o_O :oops:

He doesn't quite say it entirely about the source circuit but in his docs he points out 2 cap changes to shift it to lead/rhythm guitar range vs bass for the bass overdrive board.
You're turning in to a Matisse/Van Gough here Chris, it's not the big stuff but the mountains of hidden gems scattered everywhere..

I like them both. Having built both versions myself I think they are different enough to be considered different drives. I agree with everything Chris said about the quad vs dual.
Mr. Overdrive himself has weighed in and agreed with everything I said. Damn, maybe I should have Mike talk to my wife and boss😂
You're turning in to a Matisse/Van Gough here Chris, it's not the big stuff but the mountains of hidden gems scattered everywhere..
I appreciate this. I built all the big stuff in years prior and last fall I was out of ideas of what to build. I said I'll build the boss stuff, what I started with 30 years ago. Turns out, all the boss stuff is a hidden treasure one way or another. Who knew. Unfortunately I'm out of stuff to build as I just populated the last board and I'm filming sound clips and taking pictures of the last of this run. There are a couple pedals I'm still waiting to come out but for all practical purposes I'm taking a sabbatical from building and going on hiatus.

I guess that would depend on the context I was using it in. To push another drive, the oddity. As a standalone overdrive, the odd one out.
Ha! It was more of a bad joke based on the riff you played. But good to know.

I have a 4558 OD-1 and I built the Aion Fx Corona with a Raytheon 3403 chip and there isn't much difference to me. They both sound equally great and almost identical. However, I'll grab the OD-3 over the OD-1 for most applications.

Back