SOLVED Propolis Fuzz Transistor question

Jbanks

I built the propolis and powered it on. It makes noise, but clearly not enough. It sounds both quieter than bypass and also not enough gain. There’s some spit there, but like level 1 of 10.

I did a signal test and the signal goes all the way through the components. Am I to assume the culprit is one of the 4 transistors that is not doing its job amplifying the signal? Any advice on which one or how to fix it? My first thought is to resolder all 4 transistors but wanted to ask for help first before I make it worse.

thanks in advance!
James

Doesn’t mean it can’t happen! Is that disk cap on the bottom left 100n? I didn’t know they made disk caps in that value, I don’t usually use them though.

What transistors did you use? If they are PN2222a they need to be flipped around.

Last edited:
Are those transistor tags on the circle for collector or emitter? I looked at the pinout and they tab is currently on the Collector side. Is that backwards?

Here’s a gut shot. I’ve never put in the wrong value. So I hope this wouldn’t be the first time.
Never? You must have not built very much stuff, ha ha ha ha. I made three mistakes in my last build, including a MOSFET installed backwards. Caught one in inspection and the others I found when I powered it up. It can definitely happen.

Never? You must have not built very much stuff, ha ha ha ha. I made three mistakes in my last build, including a MOSFET installed backwards. Caught one in inspection and the others I found when I powered it up. It can definitely happen.
For the resistors no, but this was a good example of the transistors being in backwards (and counter intuitive to the standard silkscreen alignment). I flipped the transistors around correctly and it works like a champ!
A humbling experience nonetheless.

Back