Pulse Wave Fuzz (with demo)

finebyfine

Not the tidiest insides, or the most inspired graphics on the outside but man I really like this thing. I didn't have any 2n5458s on hand so I played around with a few different jfets and landed on using j201s.

j202s and mpf102s are also really nice in here, but there's more control over the amount of fuzz with j201s. mpf4393s make it hit like a brick wall of fuzz, and I might have to build another just to use one and tailor it to it. I have 2n5458s coming in the mail in a couple of days and I'll try one too so that it's to spec.

Sample has clean and then fuzz near max, with balance just past noon.

IMG_6299-(35).jpg
IMG_6294-(35).jpg

Man, you are rocking that pedal!

Hahaha thanks!! It's such a fun one. I've had it built for a few weeks now but ganked the good 3pdt out of it to put in a build I'm giving to someone and figured it was worth showing off. Love playing this one.
Very nice. The one I built would never stop squealing. I’ve yet to figure that out...

Mine doesn't squeal but it is really noisy. With it engaged w/ guitar volume at max and fuzz pretty high, and not playing, like nothing sustaining, it sounds like a white noise machine. Not sure if it's my power supply or what. Once I'm playing it goes away and I don't even hear that noise behind my guitar.

Hahaha thanks!! It's such a fun one. I've had it built for a few weeks now but ganked the good 3pdt out of it to put in a build I'm giving to someone and figured it was worth showing off. Love playing this one.

Mine doesn't squeal but it is really noisy. With it engaged w/ guitar volume at max and fuzz pretty high, and not playing, like nothing sustaining, it sounds like a white noise machine. Not sure if it's my power supply or what. Once I'm playing it goes away and I don't even hear that noise behind my guitar.
That’s what mine did, except the “white noise” was sustained. It’s fine...until you stop playing. I plan on working on it again soon...you’ve given me the motivation.

That’s what mine did, except the “white noise” was sustained. It’s fine...until you stop playing. I plan on working on it again soon...you’ve given me the motivation.

If you figure out a way around that you gotta let me know, I don't mind it too much because it is a haulin' ass, truckin 'n fucking type pedal anyway but I would prefer it to not be there and it would be the difference between me feeling comfortable trying to sell one to friends.

@Coda I took a look at this circuit again recently and was able to solve this by putting an 100p capacitor across the base and collector of Q1. I don't have a demo of the difference but it's night and day. I think I read someone did it on tagboardlayouts but I can't remember.

@Coda I took a look at this circuit again recently and was able to solve this by putting an 100p capacitor across the base and collector of Q1. I don't have a demo of the difference but it's night and day. I think I read someone did it on tagboardlayouts but I can't remember.

Good to know. I’ll dig my circuit out this week and give it a try.

Back