Random pix

Much to my dismay.. the guy who has worked on some of my guitars is moving away.
(Before I met him, I thought I was pretty good at setting up my stuff, but this guy's been doing it since before I was born and it shows)

Anyhow, he called me over to help him lift heavy stuff- vintage amps, a Hammond organ that WASN'T broken, and about a billion guitars. At the end of the day, he pulls out this case and says he wants me to borrow this guitar:

Xh4vINY.jpg

jIh9JWF.jpg

So.. I get to have an all-original late 60's, maybe early 70's Guild Starfire in my possession for awhile.
The pickups are intensely dynamic and the thing's got sustain like I've never known before.

I'm not letting myself get too attached or anything, but I really am enjoying baby-sitting this particular instrument for now!

Great story and what a nice loaner! I had the good fortune of having a great luthier in Northern VA work on a couple of my guitars before he "retired again" and moved to Florida. Priceless to be able to hang out with him in his shop a couple of times and talk about some of the instruments he had built and worked on over the years.

Great story and what a nice loaner! I had the good fortune of having a great luthier in Northern VA work on a couple of my guitars before he "retired again" and moved to Florida. Priceless to be able to hang out with him in his shop a couple of times and talk about some of the instruments he had built and worked on over the years.
Those guys are getting harder and harder to find

Much to my dismay.. the guy who has worked on some of my guitars is moving away.
(Before I met him, I thought I was pretty good at setting up my stuff, but this guy's been doing it since before I was born and it shows)

Anyhow, he called me over to help him lift heavy stuff- vintage amps, a Hammond organ that WASN'T broken, and about a billion guitars. At the end of the day, he pulls out this case and says he wants me to borrow this guitar:

Xh4vINY.jpg

jIh9JWF.jpg

So.. I get to have an all-original late 60's, maybe early 70's Guild Starfire in my possession for awhile.
The pickups are intensely dynamic and the thing's got sustain like I've never known before.

I'm not letting myself get too attached or anything, but I really am enjoying baby-sitting this particular instrument for now!

Jealous! We had an early 70s example at the music shop I worked at in college. The tuners and pots had been replaced so a fairly clean one was selling for shockingly little. Sadly I worked.... there and couldn't afford it.

I went to HS with a Luther. He was always bragging about how big his...you know....was. Well, one day I had had enough and walked right up to him in the middle of class and demanded that he measure it, right then and there!
The sheer number of simultaneous gasps seemed to suck all the oxygen from the room as Luther reached in his pants and pulled that thing out. It was huge. "No need to measure it Luther." I sighed, as I drifted back to my seat. "That's the biggest jawbreaker I've ever seen!"

"Priceless," indeed.
I just let him suck down PALL-MALL's and ramble on about his order of operations and techniques while I take mental notes- super valuable one-sided-conversations. Awesome guy.

Those guys are getting harder and harder to find

Yeah, they're leaving some big shoes to fill.

Jealous! We had an early 70s example at the music shop I worked at in college. The tuners and pots had been replaced so a fairly clean one was selling for shockingly little. Sadly I worked.... there and couldn't afford it.

"The one that got away.."
Sadly it seems prices on these classics are absolutely ridiculous these days- all original or not.
The Guild isn't for sale, but even if it were, I couldn't afford it, and even if I could, I'd feel weird spending more on a used guitar than I could for a high-end brand new guitar.

I went to HS with a Luther. He was always bragging about how big his...you know....was. Well, one day I had had enough and walked right up to him in the middle of class and demanded that he measure it, right then and there!
The sheer number of simultaneous gasps seemed to suck all the oxygen from the room as Luther reached in his pants and pulled that thing out. It was huge. "No need to measure it Luther." I sighed, as I drifted back to my seat. "That's the biggest jawbreaker I've ever seen!"

Luther probably had some big shoes as well..

Random: April 2020,two years ago today, I finished up this Walnut and Maple small aquarium stand for my father-in-law. All hand tools. My first real adventure with hand planes & hand saws. Turned out Square/level and solid as a rock. Outside of my amp cab this is has been my favorite wood build. Later that year I got sucked into pedal building and haven’t done much with wood since. 85D97AB9-B87C-4DFA-8895-E21C0E5880F0.jpeg

3F45498E-6DD3-44CF-9544-15A62AB89311.jpeg F245ED43-675A-4D2F-BD73-3BEB56B0575C.jpeg 83BF46B9-B832-48DE-A10F-28210A328A37.jpeg

A few pics from the West Coast, helping friends do some repairs to their boat.

1) Note how close the Orca is to the coast line, was a pod of 4-5 of them travelling out towards deeper water. Frame grab from some video I shot, taken from the car on the coast highway. Snow still on the peaks ...

2) Random Bald Eagle on side of road within the city limits is random. This is why you are careful with your pets up here!

3) Me in the bilge helping get the starter motor situated. We've redone that, the oil-pan, alternator, impeller pump...
Today and tomorrow will be glassing in the supports for the new fuel tanks which will go right where I'm laying. Perkins fired right up after the repairs on the aux tank. Friends are sailing her up the coast to Alaska over the summer/fall. [EDIT: Pic was sideways, fixed]

Since I've got here, seen multiple rainbows, hummingbirds, great food, trip out to friend's friend's wee sawmill (great pics of that, too if anyone's interested). Cool vintage hotrods ('36 Ford, '55 Chevy)...

Man do I miss living out this way...

Need to get back to pedals, too, though...

Attachments

• 915F3C39-EF18-467E-8583-ECC81EDECDD0.jpeg
    915F3C39-EF18-467E-8583-ECC81EDECDD0.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back