Random pix

I hope everyone is doing well. :)

We grabbed a chance to take our grandson away whilst he's out of skool.

Where wild ponies (and sometimes Figs) still roam. The Currituck lighthouse in the front, the ocean in the back. That storm was the only one we had while there and it provided for a groovy shot.

IMG_6615.jpeg

IMG_6596.jpeg

I hope everyone is doing well. :)

We grabbed a chance to take our grandson away whilst he's out of skool.

Where wild ponies (and sometimes Figs) still roam. The Currituck lighthouse in the front, the ocean in the back. That storm was the only one we had while there and it provided for a groovy shot.

View attachment 51884

View attachment 51883
Most Fig-cellent!

We don't smoke in our home. So when I want a smoke I step out to our garage (usually with a cuppa coffee) and light up. This last winter, on a very cold, sub-zero morning, I went out for a 🚬 & :coffee: with my laptop and went down the FB and PPCB Forums rabbit hole. Many are the times when I'd light up, start looking at my screen and get lost in time only to find my cigarette had burned itself all the way down. Well, that chilly morning, not only did my first 🚬 burn completely out, my coffee changed state.

I thought crystal pattern of the frozen cuppa was interesting.

Frozen_Coffee.jpg

Frozen_Coffee_Close.jpg

that's a new level there goes the neighborhood... and they still value that land that 2 bedrooms in Compton/Watts are worth 500k+

That's terrible! I'm guessing you have a plan B ?

This is very unlikely in my neighborhood. Non of the homes here are teetering on the edge of a ravine.

We had looked at another house on this street back when we were shopping for homes. When this tract was built back in '47, there were 3 basic floor plans and their mirror images. One of the floor plans was 2 story and had open beam ceilings on the 1st floor. We liked the house and the location but something was not quite right. I came back with a level and a square and measured the doorways. All of the doorways that faced E-W were not square and were all off by about 3/4" top to bottom. The entire house was leaning uphill. We walked away but it sold about 6 months later. I talked to the new owner and he told me that the foundation was damaged along most of the front (west) side of the house. A previous owned had let a water leak go unchecked for long enough to undermine the foundation. He spent a lot of money jacking up the front of the home and rebuilding the foundation. Most of the crawlspace under the 1st floor was dug out and finished to create a new lower floor. My point is that a major water leak can do serious damage anywhere.

that's a new level there goes the neighborhood... and they still value that land that 2 bedrooms in Compton/Watts are worth 500k+

I don't know what the land is worth now given that the property is basically unbuildable unless it is all regraded and the ravine is filled in. These are townhomes on postage-stamp lots. Gotta feel sorry for the guy in #27 who paid $1.475M in April. I'll bet he tells the bank "it's yours now."

Follow-up on the landslide...
Five more homes in the Peartree Lane neighborhood were evacuated yesterday due to a sewer line break. The city has set up a fund to assist evacuees with temporary housing arrangements. Call me insensitive, but these people were living in $1.5M townhomes. They are not living paycheck to paycheck. Maybe they should move into one of their vacation homes, cancel the next European trip or liquidate some of their investments. This should all be covered by insurance. The homeowners will probably end up suing the HOA.

Landslides are not a new phenomenon here in Palos Verdes.
Sunken City was featured in the bowling documentary "The Big Lebowski."

In 2011, the White Point Landslide permanently closed a section Pasel Del Mar between Palos Verdes Estates and San Pedro. If you look to the east of the landslide, you can see homes at the top and bottom of the cliffs. They are all living on borrowed time.

There is so much land movement in Portugese Bend that building has not be permitted for decades. The few remaining homes are on jacks. The road is constantly under repair and the water main runs above ground. In my younger days, my buddies and I would ride motorcycles thru there. It is quite the roller coaster. Use Google Street View to cruise along Palos Verdes Drive South from Narcissa Dr. to Peppertree Dr.

Back