Random pix

You guys, I've made a mistake..

ObFrpyi.jpg

I'm dipping a toe into the wild world of Eurorack, so I grabbed a kit for this fairly complex module..
..I have absolutely NO idea why I assumed it would be thru-hole.
Wish me luck, please!
I have a similar module (Plaits), which has a kind of mini-Rings option. By all accounts, Rings is a brilliant plucked/resonator module (even the mini produces useable plucks and strums). Trust your build goes well. I think the mystique around SMD components (difficult to work with, fiddly, and so on) may deter some of us from using them but if one is systematic about things, all should go well. Best of luck 🤞

You guys, I've made a mistake..

ObFrpyi.jpg

I'm dipping a toe into the wild world of Eurorack, so I grabbed a kit for this fairly complex module..
..I have absolutely NO idea why I assumed it would be thru-hole.
Wish me luck, please!

So—now's a good time to learn SMT! It's not hard, at least for what's on that board... You may want a different solder tip, but the only extra equipment that I needed when I started on these was a flux applicator (and the flux). (I already had a nice overhead 8X loupe that I need as an old man. That eventually got assist from an binocular inspection microscope, but I had a number of less dense boards under my belt by then.) You also need a small (but not tiny) solder tip—something 1 to 1.5 mm is about right. And some of the braided de-solder tape. Watch a few videos on drag soldering. You can also find almost any displosed electronic device (bigger than a cell phone) and remove parts and practice on that with some cheap components.

The two challenges are holding the tiny parts in place and really strategizing build order—e.g., where you have the small resistors next to a larger chip, you will need to not have the resistors there so you can sweep the tip past all the tiny legs. Seriously, with a little practice, it's like magic—the largest square chip, which looks impossible at first glance, will take less than a minute with practice. The tricky ones are often like IC1, which I'm guessing is a regulator, where you have a large pad that extends under the part. This one has a wide tab that wil extend a bit past the chip, so it's possible with an iron. (I have had to use solder paste / oven on occasion, where you have a ground pad underneath a chip that is all of 3mm square, with several legs sticking out all around.) But for larger parts, I really like drag soldering.

Besides the inevitable reality that you will want to build pedal projects that may only be in SMT (give it a few years), there are so many parts available in SMT, usually for less cost, especially if you wanted high tolerance parts.

But yes—good luck!I think you can do it!!

I found one of those monster moths (*spawn of Mothra bass?) in the edge between lawn & sidewalk when I was a kid. I gave it to another kid whom with his dad, collected butterflies/moths and put them on pin-boards.

The way they acted when I gave it to them, you'd think I'd given them a bar of gold.

Just looked it up, it was a Polyphemus with a 15cm *(6") wingspan.
The Cecropia moth is the largest moth in North America, habitating hardwood forests eastern side of the Rockies with a wingspan up to 18cm (7").

I found one of those monster moths (*spawn of Mothra bass?) in the edge between lawn & sidewalk when I was a kid. I gave it to another kid whom with his dad, collected butterflies/moths and put them on pin-boards.

The way they acted when I gave it to them, you'd think I'd given them a bar of gold.

Just looked it up, it was a Polyphemus with a 15cm *(6") wingspan.
The Cecropia moth is the largest moth in North America, habitating hardwood forests eastern side of the Rockies with a wingspan up to 18cm (7").
This one is a regular in my Backyard, it measure's around 16'' inches across :

A Big Butterfly.jpg

I guess it's a matter of be careful what you wish for... instead of the funky VW boat I posted just above I got this....:

lpT5BW5.jpg

We just had a quite terrible flood in the Top of the South Island / Nelson area, and while we were not really badly affected as some others, we had our section flooded with the water having nowhere else to go. So just to be clear: what you see in the foreground is our garden and usually not a lake...
Several days of heavy rain on top of an already drenched soil from a three times wetter than average June and July.

Waterfront property! Sell now, before the water recedes.

Seriously though, some of my best memories are of Nelson and area — I hope you and your property remain safe and sound.

Waterfront property! Sell now, before the water recedes.

Seriously though, some of my best memories are of Nelson and area — I hope you and your property remain safe and sound.
Cheers, we're fine, just a bit of water in garage. Funny that you mention, the house is sold and handover date is in 18 days... we're moving to the West Coast, new chapter in life.

Congrats on the sale and best wishes with the move.

Where on the West Coast, near Pancake Rocks or further south/north?

Back