Sherwood Schematic Error

Hi everyone, I am new here, but I recently bought the Sherwood PCB and got to building it. I am meticulous about how I go about building and noticed a discrepancy between the diagram downloaded from the internet and the actual PCB. It has to do with capacitors C9 and C14. On the printout, it says that C9 = 100n, C14 = 4n7. And this matched the image used on the site of what the PCB looks like. However, the PCB I received has them switched. I followed the PCB rather than the printout. Can you tell me which is correct and why the hell this is not fixed?

Follow-up question: is the fact that I am using primarily ceramic capacitors going to mess things up?

Attachments

• sherwood_error.jpg
    sherwood_error.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 21
Follow the PCB. The values and schematic are correct, they just switched positions on the PCB.

Most folks are going to tell you not to use ceramic capacitors and will quote all sorts of theory, SPICE simulations, and forum posts.

In practice I bet you won't hear much difference. (Unless your primary audience is a spectrum analyzer)

I can't tell you how many highly regarded commercial pedals use nothing but ceramics throughout the entire circuit. Take a look in any old vintage pedal, aren't those supposed to be the holy grail of tone? :ROFLMAO:

If all I have is a ceramic it's going in there without a second thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I got was fired.

All the breadboarding has given plenty of chances to see where different caps work well and where they don’t. I know it’s a matter of record but one must satisfy the pioneer spirit and avoid lengthy textbooks.

The only major issue I think you could run into is with the larger Class II MLCC, DC voltage can cause the capacitance to drop a significant amount. I was considering using them due to their size in a power supply, but ended up going with aluminum electrolytics instead for that specific circuit. I've attached a graph from a datasheet from Samsung that illustrates this effect. I believe using well overrated capacitors can somewhat offset this though.

unknown (7).png

Back