Shrapnel Overdrive - LED footprint?

reubenreub

Got the Shrapnel, based on the Gunshot OD, and was just curious about the unusual LED footprint. Are they supposed to be a special type of LED or would the usual 3mm/5mm red LEDs be used here? The spacing is a bit weird too compared to the normal LED footprint. Any thoughts are appreciated!

You mean the two big ones in the middle of the board? Most likely 5mm LEDs for clipping.

View attachment 9472

Yep those big honkers! It looks like they're for soft clipping but the footprint makes me think something might be up with them. It's at least pretty unusual for pedalpcb.

Oh and not that it matters in this arrangement but I'm pretty sure you got the A and K mixed around. Square hole and flat side should be K.

Build doc (rev 3/9/21) says 3mm blue.
I'm probably wrong but Apart from physical size I don't think it makes a difference. I thought 3mm and 5mm leds will sound the same if the forward voltage is the same. I always thought different colours will make a bigger difference than 3 vs 5mm.

I'm probably wrong but Apart from physical size I don't think it makes a difference. I thought 3mm and 5mm leds will sound the same if the forward voltage is the same. I always thought different colours will make a bigger difference than 3 vs 5mm.
Yep, either size should work. Forward voltage tends to differ more based on color than by size, at least for the data sheets I've looked at.

Back