Simulcast (déjà-vu)

SYLV9ST9R

The Simulcast was one of the first pedal I built for myself, and I loved it with my rig. I even rehoused it when I started to get into UV prints.
Then, I wanted to try a Duocast, and the one I made sounded quite good also.
Even though I loved it, I decided to sell it to make a bit of room on my board, but decided to revert to a Simulcast to replace it.

So, for this one, I decided to use the same enclosure color as the first iteration, and use the graphics I made for the Duocast's faceplate, plus put in a simple relay with Tayda's "Full Tone" SPST, which is pretty nice for a relay bypass, as it's got a nice feel to it (i.e. more stiff than the soft touch). Wiring could have been cleaner, but IIWII.
I used a 2SB405 SANYO Germanium Transistor with 79 hFE in this one. Sounds good also, maybe I find the HIGH setting more raunchy, but in a good way.
I think the first one sounded the best, but I'm splitting hair, as I would have been happy with any of the three, and I know I made a fellow guitarist super happy with the Duocast.
IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0312.jpg
Special thanks to @peccary who sent me a missing component to complete this!

Very good job.

Is that the intelligent relay bypass board? If so you used another relay than the TQL 5V which is not available anywhere right now for me unless I spend a fortune on shipping.

Yep that looks really nice. Strong design. Cool knobs. If it sounds half as good as it looks, you're on a winner.
Thanks! It does sound pretty good!
Very good job.

Is that the intelligent relay bypass board? If so you used another relay than the TQL 5V which is not available anywhere right now for me unless I spend a fortune on shipping.
Thanks. It's the Simple Relay as I didn't need the momentary function here.

I am still trying to find how to play with my simulcast . How do you use yours ? First in the chain ? In front of a driven amp ? Acting as a preamp ?

I am still trying to find how to play with my simulcast . How do you use yours ? First in the chain ? In front of a driven amp ? Acting as a preamp ?
I've use it early in the chain, but I had my Duocast between mod effects and delay-reverb, as a gain stage later in the chain, and I quite liked it this way. I have to redo my board, but I'll probably use it this way. As it's based on a radio board preamp, I like to think of it this way, like I would plug this chain into a mixer board and add delay/reverb (if that makes sense...). I find its nice to have the option to push those sound with the HIGH setting on the toggle.

Last edited:
That’s a really cool build with really nice graphics! The build doc says to use an on/off/on switch for the gain, but I feel like it’s supposed to be on/on? What did you use?

Reactions: fig
That’s a really cool build with really nice graphics! The build doc says to use an on/off/on switch for the gain, but I feel like it’s supposed to be on/on? What did you use?
Thanks!
Build doc is right, it's a SPDT on/off/on. Top position is MID gain; middle is LOW ; and switch down is HIGH gain.

EDIT: edited the modes to reflect what I posted below.

Last edited:
At first I wondered the same thing. I have had friends rave about this pedal to me and here I am with it plugged into a clean amp thinking really? The breakup is harsh and a bit bright.

Then I tried it as a booster in front of a light OD. Aha! Now I get it. It acts like a great treble-booster kind of sound, but with all the lows you could want. It adds some warmth and sensitivity to the sound, which sounds like my girlfriend... And then I tried it into an almost breaking up tweed Deluxe. Oh wow. Amazing! Used with a barely breaking up small amp it can sound incredible.

The Dark Esbat is a bit like this too. Into a perfectly clean sound it can be a bit meh but into something with some break up look out! It's as if using a regular "nice" sounding OD into a breaking up sound is too mushy. Using something harsher seems to work better. Or something.

Back