SOLVED Stripboard rat

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor

So this is the stripboard layout I’m following for a rat here’s the problem I get bypass but nothing when engaged I checked the ic that’s fine I biased the 2n5457 correctly it’s at 4.6v. The only thing that is getting me is the wiring the board doesn’t have an output simply says wire output to volume leg 2 which I did but then how do I wire up the footswitch? I followed this diagram here
One thing as well I didn’t wire an LED I know you don’t them for the circuit to work just thought I’d throw that in there.

image.jpg
Notice pin 8 and 9 are not connected the diagram is asking to put and LED for pin 8 and pin 9 you need an output for from the board the dirt box diagram doesn’t have one listed. Thanks for the help in advance.

image.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: fig
Your output from the board should be on leg 2, then to pin 9 of the switch will complete the audio path when engaged. Just run a wire from one to the other and we will have an answer quickly.
so you were right on the wiring that fixed the bypass having alot of static but now i just get white noise when engaged, messing with the knobs do something like their affecting the noise

Did you remove the wire from Vol 2 to the output jack? (The original one you installed needs to be removed. So that Vol 2 only goes to pin 9. Not both pin 9 and the output jack)

I do not have one I need to make one!
Use an alligator clip on the output tip of the jack. The other end should go to one of the leads on a 100n cap. The other lead is your probe.

If you’re gonna keep going down the stripboard route. Would highly suggest building a test box. You can either build the auditorium board or one of your creation. I built one using the dirtboxlayouts one a guide with my own tweaks. I used alligator clips instead of speaker terminals and added an audio probe where I could just plug one of the leads of my DMM into it and engage a switch.

Use an alligator clip on the output tip of the jack. The other end should go to one of the leads on a 100n cap. The other lead is your probe.

If you’re gonna keep going down the stripboard route. Would highly suggest building a test box. You can either build the auditorium board or one of your creation. I built one using the dirtboxlayouts one a guide with my own tweaks. I used alligator clips instead of speaker terminals and added an audio probe where I could just plug one of the leads of my DMM into it and engage a switch.
Such a great idea just finishing up some house work real quick so I can make the probe and give you guys an answer

i must be mistaken on how to use this. so i alligator clipped one end of a 100n cap then the other to the output tip jack plugged up my guitar and amp and just start touching contact of every solder joint? should i hear clear signal?

I follow the audio path from the input until I get poor or no audible. If the path splits, check the node where they meet up again, and then use process of elimination. Keep controls turned up. Start at the input jack…THAT is your baseline signal.

With that, I leave you in the much more capable hands of those above. (y)

I follow the audio path from the input until I get poor or no audible. If the path splits, check the node where they meet up again, and then use process of elimination. Keep controls turned up. Start at the input jack…THAT is your baseline signal.

With that, I leave you in the much more capable hands of those above. (y)
thank you so much sir! So the 1st leg of the mids pot isnt giving any signal. then there are a few point s that sound weak or have no signal going thru them. what would help is a schematic so i can see which joints shouldnt be giving sound. right now ive come to the conclusion of reflowing every joint hope fully thatll fix the problem.

Back