What should I do with this speaker?

DAJE

It's an 8 incher, and it measures around 5.5 ohms so I'm calling it 8Ω, and I wrote that on the speaker which contains, as you can see, very little information.

I have zero woodwork ability so I can't make a box for it. I could maybe commission a box from someone who does have those skills. But that'd probably be expensive. I also lack metalwork ability.

I have never made an amp and am a little scared of working with potentially fatal voltages. Though not so scared that I'm entirely ruling it out.

I bought the speaker many years ago to upgrade an amp that I ended up selling instead. So it's been packed away unused and taking up space.

I'm open to suggestions that don't involve crude schoolboy attempts at humour.

Attachments

• SPK.jpg
    SPK.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 16
Honestly, take a stab at woodworking to build a small cabinet. You could also build a Ruby Amp to drive the speaker which uses pedal components, so don't worry about high voltages .
A pine board is pretty inexpensive. I learned (or should I say still learning?) just by doing with some trial and error. To build it you'll need a drill (assuming you have one) and a coping saw to cut out the speaker hole. Either a hand saw, table saw, or miter saw can cut the rest of the board to size. Screws or nails to make the box itself. Youtube will help since there's a ton of "how to make a wooden box" even with only hand tools.

It's an 8 incher, and it measures around 5.5 ohms so I'm calling it 8Ω, and I wrote that on the speaker which contains, as you can see, very little information.

I have zero woodwork ability so I can't make a box for it. I could maybe commission a box from someone who does have those skills. But that'd probably be expensive. I also lack metalwork ability.

I have never made an amp and am a little scared of working with potentially fatal voltages. Though not so scared that I'm entirely ruling it out.

I bought the speaker many years ago to upgrade an amp that I ended up selling instead. So it's been packed away unused and taking up space.

I'm open to suggestions that don't involve crude schoolboy attempts at humour.
It looks the same in design as this, I think it maybe 4 ohms???
Is this what the Cone looks like?
1670344254792.png

Honestly, take a stab at woodworking to build a small cabinet. You could also build a Ruby Amp to drive the speaker which uses pedal components, so don't worry about high voltages .
A pine board is pretty inexpensive. I learned (or should I say still learning?) just by doing with some trial and error. To build it you'll need a drill (assuming you have one) and a coping saw to cut out the speaker hole. Either a hand saw, table saw, or miter saw can cut the rest of the board to size. Screws or nails to make the box itself. Youtube will help since there's a ton of "how to make a wooden box" even with only hand tools.
Don't really have the space for woodwork, plus I'm really not good at it. It'd take me a lot of practice to get close to anything usable, and I have a limited amount of time and energy. I'd rather use my time to play music, which I am doing in two bands and working on a third.

I once gutted an inexpensive Vox combo to make a cab. Literally just took the amp and old speaker out of the cab, mounted the new speaker and a fresh 1/4” input jack. Worked like a good thing. Minimal outlay of time and materials, no stress. If you can build pedals, you can for sure do what I did. Edit - the amp itself was dead as dead. Hence the chop job.

Don't really have the space for woodwork, plus I'm really not good at it. It'd take me a lot of practice to get close to anything usable, and I have a limited amount of time and energy. I'd rather use my time to play music, which I am doing in two bands and working on a third.
Three bands must be at least 3 other people. In that case I'd ask around and see if anyone wants to take a stab at whipping up a cab for some beer or pizza.

Well, you could always set it on a piece of cardboard and take pictures of it

Or, something expensive

You mean something like this 12" speaker cab?
Oddly enough I was thinking about fig's cardboard speaker box when I posted this thread...
I was gifted an 8" speaker, so I need a cab as well.

Mable Audio has 5F1 cabs in cloth or tolex for $100
I could get a speaker box with a speaker in it for that price.

Anyhoo, I took @swyse's advice and put up a similar post on Facebook and a couple of friends have offered to make me boxes so I might end up swapping a home-made-pedal for a home-made-speakerbox.

You mean something like this 12" speaker cab?

I was gifted an 8" speaker, so I need a cab as well.

Mable Audio has 5F1 cabs in cloth or tolex for $100
Yeah I've had my eye on them for a while, originally saw their store on eBay, but when I looked at some of the prices for chassis they were higher than my wholesale account with CE Dist. And I only order from China when I have to, like I got some 12 pin GX20 connectors recently that were ridiculously high priced here in the states. And like I'm talking $35 instead of $1.50. Crazy high.

I have thousands of dollars of wood working tools; table saw, drill press, 4 routers (one just for the circle jig) and yadda yadda yadda. The money I've spent to buy these would have bought dozens of cabs, but I love fabricating my own stuff. Like I'm getting ready to build, drum roll please, a 4X6 cab. Sounds crazy right?

The price on these Jensen 6" speakers were $18 each, and I've never heard of a 4X6 so I figured, what the hell it'll be fun. I used the dimensions of a '59 bassman 4x10 open back cab, and multiplied them by .6 to come up with a 60% to scale size cabinet for them. Pic of the layouts I made in Visio..... 🖖

1670440436496.png

Yeah, a 4x6 is not unusual to bass players — not common, but nor is it too unusual.

Phil Jones Bass is starting to get "out there" with 6x7" and 8x5" and then there's...

pjb_24b.jpg

Hmmm ran out of fingers and toes...

Yeah, a 4x6 is not unusual to bass players — not common, but nor is it too unusual.

Phil Jones Bass is starting to get "out there" with 6x7" and 8x5" and then there's...

pjb_24b.jpg

Hmmm ran out of fingers and toes...
a 32 x 4? Can you imagine wiring this? lmao.... This is photoshopped, right?

I've been playing for 56 years, I've never seen a 4x6, but then like so many other things I thought were "my idea" I'm wrong again!

Like I thought a helicopter with counter rotating blades so they wouldn't need a back stabilizer was my idea, but NooOOoOOOo, turns out Sikorski was already on it....

I was out in the backyard 2 months ago when I heard what I thought was a pair of scissors flying through the air coming right at me, when I saw this I was dumbfounded, I knew they were working on it but didn't expect to see one flying to Burbank airport *right over my head*

I actually ducked under the patio, but still watched. It was a most unusual experience.

Then a couple weeks later I hear another, but this one is different. More of a WHAP WHAP WHAP sound. I did manage to get a pic before it was too far away, this one was headed in the LAX direction....

The first pic is a military prototype and the first one I saw, the second one is a heavy lifter from what I've been able to find online.

1670513859613.png

1670514274137.png

1670514817421.png

After seeing your Heli-post, I want a hard-chop Tremolo and name it "Sikorski".
Sikorsky used to do test flights right over my folks’ house in CT, we’d see some pretty weird stuff occasionally. And then years later I worked for a sound company that maintained their audiovisual stuff, and got to check out the JBL sound system in Reagan’s Air Force One chopper, which the factory guys were just dying to show someone with the requisite security clearance. Why they thought I had that clearance I’ll never know, but that sound company had a lot of “interesting“ clients and connections. :cool:

Back