What's on the workbench?

OOooooooohh! I was just talking to Chuck about this one and he found a possible schematic on a Japanese website... It's a bit weird because it doesn't have a single V-ref, it has four sets of voltage dividers. And I knew it used LEDs for clipping - that distinctive sound! So if I clone it the first thing I'll do is swap those out for my patented blend of 1N4001s and 1N4148s. :cool:

I hope Chuck doesn't mind or the fella in Japan who traced it:

BJFe%20Strawberry%20Red%20OD.png

There are a couple components missing there, and a value or two off.

This one also has NE5532 where that schematic has MC1458.

Judging by his pics it looks like maybe there was some guessing going on with those.
1660794211534.png 1660794220634.png

This is the one I have here, no guesswork needed. 😂
1660794265921.png

Still have to measure some SMD caps but I should have it wrapped up soon.

Reactions: fig
Ahh yeah, he's fairly open about the possibility of mistakes and guessing at the opamp.

(Courtesy of Google Translate)

"I've seen a lot of overdrive circuit diagrams, but there are circuits that I've never seen before, so I'm not sure if they're correct or not, but
the sound produced by the effector is almost the same as the original."

"The other one has the model number deleted, but the layout of the deleted character string, the shape of the package, and rumors on the Internet? Based on the above, I decided that it was the MC1458P made by Texas Instruments. "

It's a nice sounding pedal, now I want to try the DLX version.

Ahh yeah, he's fairly open about the possibility of mistakes and guessing at the opamp.

(Courtesy of Google Translate)

"I've seen a lot of overdrive circuit diagrams, but there are circuits that I've never seen before, so I'm not sure if they're correct or not, but
the sound produced by the effector is almost the same as the original."

"The other one has the model number deleted, but the layout of the deleted character string, the shape of the package, and rumors on the Internet? Based on the above, I decided that it was the MC1458P made by Texas Instruments. "

It's a nice sounding pedal, now I want to try the DLX version.
The Four Knobbie

1660797534317.png

My guess is that the 4-knob just brings the Low Cut trimpot up front.

This is the one I want to try next.

SROD-DLX-01.jpg

Yeah I assumed that the four-knobby was the bass trimmer on top. What do you think of this one Robert? I really like it except for the LED sound. If the PCB was able to fit into a 1590B I think I will buy a few! I always like bass and treble the other way around from how he has them on the 4K though. No pressure though! 🤪

Oh, and I believe the six-knob version is a more "modern voicing". Nah, gimme old fart voicing any time. What really impresses me about the Strawberry Red is that it sounds good at low gain and at high gain. In fact it almost seems to change character to do so. It's one of those rare pedals which has lovely mids but avoids sounding boxy at all.

Actually there are two things I want to change - the diodes and the brightness. A little more high end couldn't hurt. I am very much looking forward to this one. Thanks Chuck, thanks Mr PCB!

Btw I am hoping that I can put the bass cut on the top of the box as another knob. And if you do decide to do the six-knobby I will be into that also. The Strawberry Red is my favourite BJF pedal (in case you hadn't guessed) and I have built a lot of his pedals, usually so that I can change something. The One Control Honey Bee is pretty good too.

What do you think of this one Robert?

I like it, I'm looking forward to putting it back together and playing around with it some more. I like LED clipping, it's probably why I do like it.

The construction makes me absolutely cringe though... It's four little PCBs with tabs/slots put together like a puzzle, held together with solder bridges. If/when the hardware gets loose any movement is going to destroy the pedal pretty quicky.

I definitely plan to make the Low Cut control external, although it will likely have to go on the right side because of where it is in the circuit.

There are only a small handful of components different compared to a stock TS, but it has an unusual diode arrangement around the drive pot that I can't say I've seen before. It's not just a pair of diodes across the pot like the Godlyke product page describes.

Technically you could build it with any 'Screamer PCB, but you'd have to fly some components offboard, and no one wants to have to do that. 😂

I liked it enough that I modified my stock TS9 to the same specs.

I like it, I'm looking forward to putting it back together and playing around with it some more. I like LED clipping, it's probably why I do like it.

The construction makes me absolutely cringe though... It's four little PCBs with tabs/slots put together like a puzzle, held together with solder bridges. If/when the hardware gets loose any movement is going to destroy the pedal pretty quicky.

I definitely plan to make the Low Cut control external, although it will likely have to go on the right side because of where it is in the circuit.
The first one of these I had stopped working - that's probably why. It was replaced under warranty. It's also why I have never tried to take mine apart. It looks very fragile. It's also why I want to make one of my own! The way it's put together makes no sense - they go to so much trouble to make a cool enclosure out of CNC aluminium (which surely can't be cheap) then install such a flimsy circuit. And you can still fit a 9V battery in there!

I only tried one because (a) I noticed the little "BJF" on the case when I saw it at my local music store, and (b) it was on a massive discount because nobody knew what it was. It was so cheap that I bought it and a Purple Humper together for the price of a Tube Screamer.

image.jpg

Right now working on the awful waffle pretty much have it almost populated. There’s a 470pf ceramic cap thats supposed to be put in there which I have…but it’s one of those cheap ceramic caps. I have mlcc caps on the way tomorrow. Everything in me is screaming wait till tomorrow so I’m going to do just that. Will keep you guys posted!

Back